• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Holland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Holland

Anyone got some info for me?
    I have never contracted abroad, how does an ICT Support Engineer
    12month contract paying a rate £400 per day + £125 per day expenses sound?

make sure that is pounds and not euros

also the tax situation in Holland is 'odd'...the 30% rule etc...
    http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NickIT
      make sure that is pounds and not euros

also the tax situation in Holland is 'odd'...the 30% rule etc...
      You sound just the person to ask then.
      I don't want to sound green but, yes it is £ and Why the 30% would I pay UK tax as well?
      Do you think the £125 per day exes will cover fares and Hotel/digs?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
        Do you think the £125 per day exes will cover fares and Hotel/digs?
        £125 pd is plenty unless you're in an absurd location or in Frankfurt. Check whether it's per DAY or per NIGHT.

Comment

Or per LADY.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

If you are working in Holland you have to pay Dutch tax and you will not be required to pay UK tax. There is a form to notify the Inland Revenue of this.

Once you are on Dutch payroll you have two options. It is a while since I was on Dutch payroll but the basics I can remember is this...

Dutch tax/ni is quite high. Say 50% as an example.

You can either sign up to the 30% rule which means that you are in employment within a certain niche area. Advantages are that you only pay 30& tax. Disadvantages are that you cannot claim expenses such as travel and accomodation.

Second option is to pay normal tax and be able to claim all your expenses back.

When I was working there it worked out better to take the 30% rule.

Also the payroll company I was using (forced to use by the agency) was quite expensive too. They charged a sizeable monthly fee.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup
              If you are working in Holland you have to pay Dutch tax and you will not be required to pay UK tax. There is a form to notify the Inland Revenue of this.
              Since when?

If resident for tax purposes in Holland then Dutch taxes are due. If resident in the UK then UK taxes are due.

Simply being resident in Holland for tax purposes does not necessarily prevent you from being UK resident for tax purposes simultaneously.

If resident in both then taxes in both are payable, however then the provisions of the DTA between the UK and Holland kick in. Effectively you will get credit against UK taxes of the amount of Dutch taxes paid. Often this will eradicate any UK liability completely but it is not guaranteed.

The effect of the DTA agreements concluded is that generally you pay the higher. There are some countries we do not have DTA's with so there is no relief on the foreign tax paid at all. One of the penalties of a mondiale tax system.

Comment

ASB, when I worked in Holland I was asked to fill in a form for the Inland Revenue by my accountant. I can't remember what the form was exactly because it was two years ago now but it was to basically say that I was working in Holland and paying Dutch tax. When I started to work back in the UK again I was required to inform the Inland Revenue again that I was back.

My accountant still had to fill out my UK tax return but I didn't have to pay tax. Again it was a while ago so I can't remember what went on the UK tax return.

Also when I started paying UK tax again I was given quite a nice tax rebate from Hector.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup
                  My accountant still had to fill out my UK tax return but I didn't have to pay tax.
                  Obviously didn't make myself entirely clear (not for the first time :-))

If you (or agent) had to fill in a UK tax return then you were still resident for tax purposes in the UK - or going to claim non residency for the year in question.

You therefore work out the UK tax that would be due on this income. Then you can deduct under the provisions of the DTA tax paid in Holland (to a limit of the value of the UK tax due). Very often the dutch tax paid exceeds the UK tax due, which reduces the UK tax due to zero (this seems to be what happened to you).

Alternatively it is possible that you didn't spend enough time in the UK to be UK resident simultaneously (travelling back most weekends will ensure you remain UK resident).

Your particular circumstances are undeniably that you did not end up with any further UK tax to pay (indeed most peoples will be that too). However, there is no guarantee that will be the case - different circumstances could give rise to a UK tax bill as well.

It also used to be possible to structure things to save quite a sizeable chunk or UK CT by making a loss by virtue of the company taking an assignment, which you as an individual were only prepared to take with a huge up front payment. I suspect now that it would be difficult to justify this though.

Comment

You therefore work out the UK tax that would be due on this income. Then you can deduct under the provisions of the DTA tax paid in Holland (to a limit of the value of the UK tax due). Very often the dutch tax paid exceeds the UK tax due, which reduces the UK tax due to zero (this seems to be what happened to you).
                    yes that sounds familiar!

Comment

Working...
                    X