• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Corporation Tax through Barclays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Corporation Tax through Barclays

I just had to jump through a couple of hoops as my Corporation Tax was greater than the £20k limit used by Barclays on their "Make a Payment" option. If you're trying to make a payment > £20k, don't select the account name (to whom you're paying) from the automatic list that comes up while you're entering the name, sort code or account number.

For example, while typing in Payee name of "HMRC", a list pops up with HMRC Corp. Tax etc etc but you need to ignore those and just type in the name yourself.

You have to go through all boxes and enter all details manually, then you'll be allowed to make a payment up to £50k.

I called telephone banking and the Indians weren't helpful (they just cut me off ) but on my second attempt I was lucky to get a lovely sounding lady Gem who told me what I needed to do.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone else gets stuck!

If you are paying more than £20k Corp Tax I would find a better accountant!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Really? I thought maybe I could just earn less

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Really? I thought maybe I could just earn less
        You can still earn a lot and pay less tax
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My bank had an ever lower daily limit, so I just made 3 separate payments over 3 days.

Just use the same reference number for each payment and HMRC's system allocates them all fine - although I did ensure that each payment was for a slightly different amount so that if one payment went missing, I could work out which one it was.

Comment

You can still earn a lot and pay less tax
            Yes I have thought about skipping on VAT payments but the jail time just isn't worth it
            Seriously though my costs are quite low and I don't push the boundary too much on what I claim - just the usual mileage, food etc (< 2 years). I'll probably buy a new laptop soon so that'll be the biggest expense in a while.

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            My bank had an ever lower daily limit, so I just made 3 separate payments over 3 days.

Just use the same reference number for each payment and HMRC's system allocates them all fine - although I did ensure that each payment was for a slightly different amount so that if one payment went missing, I could work out which one it was.
            Yep this was my backup option, but I'm not as confident in HMRC's systems as you sound

Comment

I just had to jump through a couple of hoops as my Corporation Tax was greater than the £20k limit used by Barclays on their "Make a Payment" option. If you're trying to make a payment > £20k, don't select the account name (to whom you're paying) from the automatic list that comes up while you're entering the name, sort code or account number.

For example, while typing in Payee name of "HMRC", a list pops up with HMRC Corp. Tax etc etc but you need to ignore those and just type in the name yourself.

You have to go through all boxes and enter all details manually, then you'll be allowed to make a payment up to £50k.

I called telephone banking and the Indians weren't helpful (they just cut me off ) but on my second attempt I was lucky to get a lovely sounding lady Gem who told me what I needed to do.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone else gets stuck!
              Why is any sane contractor using barcrap for their banking!?

They royally screw contractors at every opportunity. No way those shysters are getting any of my business.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I dunno, I think he just wanted to tell us how much he'd earned
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is why I love my cheque book

Pay it over the counter at a bank and it counts as an "electronic" payment.

Comment

Yep this was my backup option, but I'm not as confident in HMRC's systems as you sound
                    Nor was I to begin with, so I

a) Checked with them before I started that multiple payments would be fine
                    b) Called them a few days after the last payment to confirm they had received all the payments and had been allocated to the correct corp tax year.

Comment

Working...
                    X