• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Information Packs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Information Packs

Do you think there is any truth in these reports about the proposed Housing pack paralysing the housing market?
    Looks like a boom as people try to sell property before its introduced followed by a bust scenario to me!

The Times June 27, 2006

Hips will paralyse the housing market, says Persimmon chief
    By Jenny Davey

JOHN WHITE, the executive chairman of Persimmon, one of Britain’s biggest housebuilders, has criticised government plans to introduce Home Information Packs (Hips) and called for their abolition.
    Mr White gave warning yesterday that house prices could be forced up once Hips are introduced next year because fewer homes may be put up for sale.

“These Hips are mooted to prevent gazumping and speed up the housebuying process, but they won’t achieve either of these things. They may even slow down the market by reducing the number of properties put up for sale, which would lead to a surge in house prices,” Mr White said.

“I would hope they are not introduced. It would be folly to risk disrupting the housing market and I am not sure what it will achieve.”

The initiative has already come under heavy criticism from the Tories, who claim that Hips are nothing more than a £110 million VAT windfall for the Government.

Michael Gove, Conservative MP and Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning, has railed against Hips as “expensive red tape” for the housing market.

Hips are set to be introduced in June next year and are expected to cost sellers at least £600 to £700. Some estimates put the cost of compiling the packs at as high as £1,000.

IF the Government really did want to stop gazumping then all they have to do is pass a law that makes verbal agreements binding.

Wallah, no more gazumping.

But no, that is far tooooooo simple for this bloody country! Funny thing is, every time I mention this to my english friends they have this "what are you talking bout willis" look on their face

Mailman

Comment

I agree the notion that HIPs will prevent or even help to discourage gazumping appears a ludicrous claim.

In essence though the concept seems fairly to me logical. Just the one 'search' for example. What is an unnecessary expense & effort though is the property health report "based on a professional survey". Because any lender for the potential new owner will always insist on having their own survey carried out anyway. The seller would be shelling out for a survey that no lender would accept or be even remotely interested in.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much, I would guess your average Joe doesn't really know or care about it and will not rush to sell before it comes into force, and then will act all surprised when they find out about it.

One of Mr Brown's more inventive stealth taxes and i'm sure it'll be just like an MOT, i.e. the fact that you have it doesn't mean the house isn't a pile of tulip waiting to fall down, it's just that nobody has realised it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          I wouldn't worry too much, I would guess your average Joe doesn't really know or care about it and will not rush to sell before it comes into force, and then will act all surprised when they find out about it.

One of Mr Brown's more inventive stealth taxes and i'm sure it'll be just like an MOT, i.e. the fact that you have it doesn't mean the house isn't a pile of tulip waiting to fall down, it's just that nobody has realised it yet.
          Agree with you, does look like a another Brown stealth tax to me.

But Any new tax always results in change of behaviour as people seek to avoid it , so could have unforseen consequences. I reckon it might mean less property on the market, so supply drops and demand too, as people move less. Not sure what that means for house prices though! neutral?

Comment

I presume these packs come with a valuation that the seller pays for, but how many banks are going to lend their money on someone elses valuation. The buyer will end up having to pay for another valuation anyway.

Comment

Doesn't British law have the concept of "caveat emptor" anyway?
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

We should introduce the Scottish system if the aim really was to stop underhand practices
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                  We should introduce the Scottish system if the aim really was to stop underhand practices
                  What's that ?? Kill the f***er if they don't honour thier verbal contract ???

Comment

I'm guessing you don't know the Scots approach to selling houses?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X