• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short fixed term contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short fixed term contracts

Anyone else seeing a lot of these popping up of late? Offering permie rates, pro rata, but for 6 months.

Contracting, for permie money. A new approach, one which then can stick up their harris's

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Anyone else seeing a lot of these popping up of late? Offering permie rates, pro rata, but for 6 months.

Contracting, for permie money. A new approach, one which then can stick up their harris's
    Some newbie might be grateful for the chance. We can't all be at the top of the game. And you get what you pay for.

Who was it whose signature said "If you think a professional is expensive - see how much an amateur costs".

Comment

I thought that, but then today was offered a senior position in the SW for 6 months fixed on £65k pro rata. Then 2 more ads came out, more akin to what you've said i.e. £25k prorata over 6 months for a junior.

I first thought they were trying to get bobs on board by advertising low rates, which we'd all turn down, but it's happened a lot over the past few weeks, so seems to be a theme...

Comment

It's been around for years. Nothing new, you obviously only just noticed it.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

Unfortunately yes and they are a disgrace. Don't confuse them with contracting though. They, in most cases, are nothing to do with contracting as we know it. They are nothing more than getting permies in but having an easy out to get rid quickly should anything change at the clients end or the permie not be as good/what the employer wanted.

I believe they can roll these on for 2 years before being forced to offer full time employment or something like that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            It's been around for years. Nothing new, you obviously only just noticed it.
            Fair comment, just noticed them this past couple of weeks.

Comment

Are these for public sector clients? To avoid the Ltd company contractor bashing from the press?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Are these for public sector clients? To avoid the Ltd company contractor bashing from the press?
                Nope, I know BUPA do the same and a couple of banks. It is an HR get out rather than any deeper political intent and is aimed at recruiting permies. Nothing to do with our type of contracting.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X