• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling shares...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling shares...

Got around 10K worth of sharesave shares to keep or sell depending on the market rate.

Never sold shares before - can anyone suggest an agent?

I am very mindful how much the price can fluctuate, eg, was 263 a few days ago and now just 250, hence how can I actually sell the instant I see a price I want to sell at?

I know what you mean Gruffy, and I am so glad CUK exists where I can seek answers to these complex questions or else I wouldnt know where to turn to.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Sharesave schemes most often offer a fee free dealing service if you're selling them straight out of the scheme - ie without transferring them to yourself. Obviously you'll lose control of the exact selling price that way.

I've used HSBC and Halifax share dealing services and think you'll pay between £10 to £15 per deal, but quite how you get the shares from the scheme into the dealing service I dunno. Presumably there is a mechanism to say 'I want to transfer the shares into my own name' and they'll make the transfer to your nominated dealing account for you?

I struggle to remember my experiences cos it's that feckin long since any bank sharesave schemes paid out! In fact, everything since 2006 has been cashed in in disgust.

Comment

I always buy low and sell high. I did go through a phase when I thought that I might sell low and buy high, but I changed my mind.

Let me know if you need any more advice

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Sharesave schemes most often offer a fee free dealing service if you're selling them straight out of the scheme - ie without transferring them to yourself. Obviously you'll lose control of the exact selling price that way.

I've used HSBC and Halifax share dealing services and think you'll pay between £10 to £15 per deal, but quite how you get the shares from the scheme into the dealing service I dunno. Presumably there is a mechanism to say 'I want to transfer the shares into my own name' and they'll make the transfer to your nominated dealing account for you?

I struggle to remember my experiences cos it's that feckin long since any bank sharesave schemes paid out! In fact, everything since 2006 has been cashed in in disgust.
          I have got the sharesave as shares because I was made redundant before the scheme matured, hence I am needing to sell my shares at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            I know what you mean Gruffy, and I am so glad CUK exists where I can seek answers to these complex questions or else I wouldnt know where to turn to.
            Have you tried PUK?

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
              I have got the sharesave as shares because I was made redundant before the scheme matured, hence I am needing to sell my shares at some point!
              So do you have a share certificate, or are they in held online? I've got some in an online dealing account, and others with a certificate. The online ones should be easy to dispose of, i've got no idea what to do with paper certificates.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                So do you have a share certificate, or are they in held online? I've got some in an online dealing account, and others with a certificate. The online ones should be easy to dispose of, i've got no idea what to do with paper certificates.
                It is a paper certificate, hence I am very nervous at agreeing to sell when the price could plummet by the time the papers get posted out.

Very bizarre.....

Comment

It is a paper certificate, hence I am very nervous at agreeing to sell when the price could plummet by the time the papers get posted out. Very bizarre.....
                  Is the current price high enough to worry about it dropping?

Keep the shares - put them in your toilet, next to your rejection letter from Harvard.

Comment

It is a paper certificate, hence I am very nervous at agreeing to sell when the price could plummet by the time the papers get posted out.

Very bizarre.....
                    You can bung them on to sell but set a 'sell at' price. If the price is reached the market will sell them, until then they're yours (and your stuck with them).

Comment

Working...
                    X