• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash missing... suspect cleaner... how to handle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash missing... suspect cleaner... how to handle?

The other week I found all the cash in my wallet had disappeared... I rarely carry much but sod's law says it was the one time I had a decent amount.

Updated here, 6th Feb

There is a 2 day window it could have disappeared from when I last know I saw it in the wallet, to finding it definitely wasn't there. In that time I:
    - went out of the house
    - used my wallet, but NOT the cash section
    - had the cleaners round
    - had some friends round

I struggle to see how several notes could fall out of that section of my wallet, but can't discount it. Similarly, I'd like to think friends wouldn't do this but you can't be sure. So the obvious suspect is the cleaner, by the numbers. And we had 2-3 people come and clean at the same time while we both happened to be in, so it would be a ballsy move for one to open my wallet (velco, noisy) under our noses.

I can't find a way to bring it up with the cleaning company without accusing them, but we're uncomfortable because we need to trust the cleaners who are in our house. And getting rid of them in case it was them seems unfair, as well as meaning we have to find another cleaner and start the whole process again.

So... anyone got any thoughts what to do?
    Last edited by d000hg; 6 February 2013, 12:30.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I would sack all the cleaners just in case.

Then next time never put anyone in the embarrassing position of being able to take cash from you. Whenever we have ANYONE in the house we always make sure the cash is safe.

Comment

Leave your wallet about with a bit of money in it next time the cleaner comes and see if she takes more.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I would sack all the cleaners just in case.

Then next time never put anyone in the embarrassing position of being able to take cash from you. Whenever we have ANYONE in the house we always make sure the cash is safe.
        Yes but it's not only cash... anyone you let in your house has to be trusted with your valuables. Hard to tell something isn't missing from a jewellery box, etc.

Comment

The next time you could leave a tenner in the wallet and then check just before the cleaners leave. If the tenner has gone then, it definitely was the cleaner. Pick pockets do sometimes take money out of your wallet, but leave the wallet in your pocket or bag, did you go shopping in a busy store and accidentally bump into someone?
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Has sas been round your house?

Comment

I would think you'd struggle to hear it being opened over the sound of the dyson but it's a moot point really. The trust is gone, so time to get new cleaners.

Comment

Not that I can remember BB but that's the issue, it could have been something like that and I don't like the idea of accusing someone.

Leaving cash in is an option I considered but then it never seems to have happened before... one time I forgot I had left cash on the kitchen table and they tidied without nicking it... so I'd have to do it every time in case it's only one person, or one person who only does it infrequently.

And then what if it does happen... simply stop using them? Stop using and explain why to the company owner? No way to see which person it was which puts him in a very difficult position too... he mostly employs family or trusted friends.

Comment

It seems a bit unfair to get rid of the cleaners when it may not have been one of them. I like the idea of leaving a fiver or a tenner lying around and see if it goes missing next time they come.

PS - has your wife recently got new shoes?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    PS - has your wife recently got new shoes?
                    She tells me when she nicks my cash!

Comment

Working...
                    X