• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bobation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobation

Interesting scenes at client co yesterday, where a departmental head announces a conference call with a huge department. Literally hundreds of people dial in to listen.

<Big Boss> There will be 240 job losses, with the roles being offshored. Blah Blah Blah. The forum will be opened up for questions.

<Some Guy> Big Boss, what is the motivation for doing this ?

<Big Boss> Efficiency, world class service, blah blah, second to none, best in the industry, blah blah blah. Any more questions.

<Bobette> A question which no one understood.

<Big Boss> Sorry, could you repeat the question.

<Bobette> Repeated question which no one understood.

<Big Boss> Well, that's not an easy question to answer. can you forward your question to me personally in an email. OK, thanks all for attending.

You couldn't make that up. The guy who outsources can't understand his own outsourced resources

The big boss at JPM was French. Hard to understand face to face but impossible to understand in town halls. Once I thought he said "there will be cows on the trading floor" - in fact he had said "there will be chaos on the trading floor".

Comment

I worked with with an offshore development team in Vietnam and that was agony the telephone conferences used to go on for hours as people just couldn't understand them. What made it worse was when drafting an email to them you had to really specific with what you expected the software to do down to the smallest detail it was like writing a mini PRD
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        I worked with with an offshore development team in Vietnam and that was agony the telephone conferences used to go on for hours as people just couldn't understand them. What made it worse was when drafting an email to them you had to really specific with what you expected the software to do down to the smallest detail it was like writing a mini PRD
        Its the joy of outsourcing. Now costs are what they are you can easily save money by onshoring to Sheffield or Belfast.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Its the joy of outsourcing. Now costs are what they are you can easily save money by onshoring to Sheffield or Belfast.
          Surely you'd want to onshore somewhere they speak English ?
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Any cost benefits are offset by delays in communicating what you what and the time it takes for them to comprehend what you want them to do
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Any cost benefits are offset by delays in communicating what you what and the time it takes for them to comprehend what you want them to do
              Are there any cost benefits nowadays? The local clientco has two local firms who can provide bob quality staff locally for less than the bob companies are charging.

Now I know that may not be the case all over the country but Bobco ain't as cheap as it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Now I know that may not be the case all over the country but Bobco ain't as cheap as it used to be.
                I agree, which is why the company I previously contracted at was using Harvey Nash in Vietnam it was embarrassing
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyD View Post
                  Interesting scenes at client co yesterday, where a departmental head announces a conference call with a huge department. Literally hundreds of people dial in to listen.

<Big Boss> There will be 240 job losses, with the roles being offshored. Blah Blah Blah. The forum will be opened up for questions.

<Some Guy> Big Boss, what is the motivation for doing this ?

<Big Boss> Efficiency, world class service, blah blah, second to none, best in the industry, blah blah blah. Any more questions.

<Bobette> A question which no one understood.

<Big Boss> Sorry, could you repeat the question.

<Bobette> Repeated question which no one understood.

<Big Boss> Well, that's not an easy question to answer. can you forward your question to me personally in an email. OK, thanks all for attending.

You couldn't make that up. The guy who outsources can't understand his own outsourced resources
                  I didn't realise that Harry Ramsdens had that many IT people???
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    Surely you'd want to onshore somewhere they speak English ?
                    Onshoring to Belfast resolves many issues. Many end clients don't like upsetting angry men with Northern Ireland accents. Especially if you ensure they discuss petrol bombing within ear shot prior to entering the meeting.

And that is called managing client expectations.

Comment

Working...
                    X