• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greetings from an Oracle chap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from an Oracle chap

Hi all,

A quick thanks to all on here who've posted, found some really great advice.

Now to a question that I couldn't find anybody asking...

Do you notice that there are particular times of year when contracts seem to be more readily available?

I guess the answer may be dependant on my role etc, so I'll post some background info below:

I'm an Oracle DBA (14yrs) with the general RMAN, Dataguard, basic admin on Windows, Unix, VMWARE type stuff. Also have 10gAS, e-business (only up to 11.5.10) and a very recent Weblogic install (hoping to do a lot more over the next few months).

I've been a permie for 10 yrs, bit of contracting before that.

Currently based in North America, and looking to move back to the UK in the next 18 months (just trying to decide if there's a better time of year to arrive and start looking for work...). Happy to contract anywhere in the UK.

Thanks for any advice

Actually - one more thing, I'm thinking 350/day is achievable - any comments?

Originally posted by roobydoobs View Post
    Now to a question that I couldn't find anybody asking...

Do you notice that there are particular times of year when contracts seem to be more readily available?
    You are kidding right? Pretty regular question this one.

Have a look through these. There will be links to IT Jobswatch where you can see how many gigs have been advertised plus much chit chat about when and where stuff is available...

market site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/ - Google Search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

welcome to cuk - have fun

Comment

Generally speaking
        - Christmas and the run up to Christmas from say mid nov is quiet (permies are too busy working out who they plan to screw at the office party )
        - it generally picks up mid to late jan onwards (I.e now) as people start having meetings early jan, get decided mid jan and then funds are approved and agents get involved late jan, plus managers are aware that budgets will soon be discussed and if they still have anything left then its a case of spend it or don't get the same next financial year
        - late April early may are also better times given that early April begins a new tax year and a lot if companies run their financial year to coincide, new finance year, new budgets in place
        - summer can be quiet depending on the company, key people / budget approvers on holidays etc.

HTH oh and welcome
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are kidding right? Pretty regular question this one.

Have a look through these. There will be links to IT Jobswatch where you can see how many gigs have been advertised plus much chit chat about when and where stuff is available...

market site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/ - Google Search
          not kidding, no

I'm not looking for a "current state of the market" thread, or how jobswatch does the last 3 months, but more a general view/opinion from experienced contractors in the uk, as to when the "busy" months are for them.

(e.g. I live in a Government town in North America - Feb/March they try to "spend to keep" their budget - contracts all over the place for those 2 months).

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            Generally speaking
            - Christmas and the run up to Christmas from say mid nov is quiet (permies are too busy working out who they plan to screw at the office party )
            - it generally picks up mid to late jan onwards (I.e now) as people start having meetings early jan, get decided mid jan and then funds are approved and agents get involved late jan, plus managers are aware that budgets will soon be discussed and if they still have anything left then its a case of spend it or don't get the same next financial year
            - late April early may are also better times given that early April begins a new tax year and a lot if companies run their financial year to coincide, new finance year, new budgets in place
            - summer can be quiet depending on the company, key people / budget approvers on holidays etc.

HTH oh and welcome
            Thanks for the welcome Brillopad

Thanks Chef - that's what I was looking for. Seems they have the "spend it or lose it" rush back in the UK aswell

Any Oracle Chaps out there care to comment on the rates I'm looking at (yes I've checked jobswatch, but always like to hear from "real" people...)

Comment

Originally posted by roobydoobs View Post
              Thanks for the welcome Brillopad

Thanks Chef - that's what I was looking for. Seems they have the "spend it or lose it" rush back in the UK aswell

Any Oracle Chaps out there care to comment on the rates I'm looking at (yes I've checked jobswatch, but always like to hear from "real" people...)
              There are so many variables regarding what a decent rate is, location being the over-riding factor IMHO. £350/day in London is not as attractive as £350/day in Newcastle due to the cost of accommodation. Not by a long way. Where are you thinking of settling over here? Having said all that, 350/day is on the low side, I think you should be able to achieve a bit more than that.
              I'd give my right dick to be normal.....

Comment

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
                There are so many variables regarding what a decent rate is, location being the over-riding factor IMHO. £350/day in London is not as attractive as £350/day in Newcastle due to the cost of accommodation. Not by a long way. Where are you thinking of settling over here? Having said all that, 350/day is on the low side, I think you should be able to achieve a bit more than that.
                Thanks for the input.

Looking to settle in the York area, so ideally contracts in the York,Leeds,Sheffield area. However, until I've built up a good reputation in that area, I know that I'll need to take contracts all over the UK I imagine (although would prefer to avoid London simply because of the high cost of accomodation etc).

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X