• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh for contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinburgh for contracts

As this is the only contractor forum I seem able to find, I wanted to inquire whether a move to Edinburgh would be good from a financial contracting point of view. I've seen roles occasionally pop up there and in nearby Glasgow.

It depends where you are moving from and how much contracts pay in Edinburgh. You need to do a lot of research on the cost of moving there and then weigh it up against the number of contracts that are available and what the rate is for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      As this is the only contractor forum I seem able to find, I wanted to inquire whether a move to Edinburgh would be good from a financial contracting point of view. I've seen roles occasionally pop up there and in nearby Glasgow.
      Unless you intend contracting in and around London where jobs are plentiful, it makes no sense to move to places like Manchester, Glasgow or Edinburgh etc. There just arent enough contract roles to gaurantee not being on the bench.

You are far better commuting and staying away during the working week. A full blown re location isnt worth the risk imo.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Unless you intend contracting in and around London where jobs are plentiful, it makes no sense to move to places like Manchester, Glasgow or Edinburgh etc. There just arent enough contract roles to gaurantee not being on the bench.

You are far better commuting and staying away during the working week. A full blown re location isnt worth the risk imo.
        I'm hoping one of the mods will just merge this thread with my one in the Welcome forum. At any rate, I am considering a relocation in general. I'm currently in Manchester, so one of the things I am looking at is how vibrant Edinburgh is for contracts. It's got a larger financial market than Manchester can hope for. I suppose the thing with London is that the contracts there aren't adjusted to the cost of living in London, at least not the ones I am considering. Edinburgh appeals to me for other reasons than contracting, but I am interested in how it compares to somewhere like Manchester.

I agree though that it may be a better idea to stay away during the week and put it down as an expense than to relocate on a regular basis, which is costly and not something I want to do anyway. I am kind of lucky in that I am not really tied down anywhere at the moment, and at most it'd cost me £300 to move my stuff.

The agencies I currently work with or have worked with, or at least have on my radar, include Hays, Hazell Carr, Momenta, Brightpool and Grovelands. Are there any others I should be aware of for these kind of roles? I'll see how many of their advertised roles tend to concentrate around Edinburgh and Glasgow.
        Last edited by Zero Liability; 2 February 2013, 20:32.

Comment

If given the choice of Manchester and Edinburgh, I'd def choose Edinburgh for the lifestyle and environment

I haven't worked there previously but have a friend who used to work for the Big 4 there - He then moved down to London, and he really misses Edinburgh.

With regards to contracting opps, the daily pay rate is actually similar to London for what I do... However, there ain't as many opportunities and openings.

Comment

I live in Edinburgh - not had any issues with contracts. Usually work between Edinburgh - Glasgow and occassionally London where the client demands it. Love Edinburgh, can't see me ever moving.

Clearly depends on your field but don't know any "good" contractors who have been out of work for any length of time.

Comment

I'm hoping one of the mods will just merge this thread with my one in the Welcome forum. At any rate, I am considering a relocation in general. I'm currently in Manchester, so one of the things I am looking at is how vibrant Edinburgh is for contracts. It's got a larger financial market than Manchester can hope for. I suppose the thing with London is that the contracts there aren't adjusted to the cost of living in London, at least not the ones I am considering. Edinburgh appeals to me for other reasons than contracting, but I am interested in how it compares to somewhere like Manchester.

I dont agree Edinburgh has a bigger financial sector than Manchester. There's quite a few large and smaller financial clients in greater Manchester plus, leeds (which is the biggest outside london) is only about 30 miles away.

I agree though that it may be a better idea to stay away during the week and put it down as an expense than to relocate on a regular basis, which is costly and not something I want to do anyway. I am kind of lucky in that I am not really tied down anywhere at the moment, and at most it'd cost me £300 to move my stuff.
              Perhaps now it may seem worthwhile but, once you've invested in a move then find the jobs dry up, you'll find yourself staying put looking for that next role because it has become too expensive to move again.

The agencies I currently work with or have worked with, or at least have on my radar, include Hays, Hazell Carr, Momenta, Brightpool and Grovelands. Are there any others I should be aware of for these kind of roles? I'll see how many of their advertised roles tend to concentrate around Edinburgh and Glasgow.
              Recruitment Zone used to have an office in Edinburgh I think. Once worked through them at northern crock before it became virgin money.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

For finance, try Head for LBG / Clydesdale, Bright Purple for Tesco (although covered by Head too), Hays for RBS then consider Networkers for SKY especially if technical, such as a solution architect. Most are on the job boards though.

Good luck
                Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                  For finance, try Head for LBG / Clydesdale, Bright Purple for Tesco (although covered by Head too), Hays for RBS then consider Networkers for SKY especially if technical, such as a solution architect. Most are on the job boards though.

Good luck
                  Also opportunities at

Standard Life

Scottish Widows

Sainsbury's Bank

Scottish Widows Investments

Virgin Money

Its a good market here to be honest. Smaller than London obviously but I havent met many contractors who are out of work for long.

I haven't had to look to Glasgow for about 10 years but the market seems to be getting better there recently.

Stirling has a small contract market as does Aberdeen (Oil and Gas obviously) and very occasionally Dundee.

Agencies I use are Head, RZ, Lorien, Bedenoch and Clarke, Projects Partners have an office here too

Comment

ProjectPeople and Lorien for RBS and Fujitsu services, +1 for brightpurple for tescos, not sure who do HBOS, Standard and HSBC.

Flat rental market in edinburgh was pretty mercenary last time I was there (about 18 months ago) - try and get in the Simpson Loan development next to the meadows and near town, really nice area, but be prepared to commit at the time you view, otherwise someone else will have it.

Comment

Working...
                    X