• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting Sky TV to the Internet via a normal broadband router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Sky Box for my TV, which I would like to connect to the Internet. But the Sky helpdesk say my broadband router cannot be used for this and that for Sky one must use a "special router".

Is this just some mong's misinterpretation, or is it possible that Sky really is unable to use a normal ADSL router with (AFAIK) standard settings, or is it a wheeze to force people to switch to Sky as their ISP? There's no way I'm replacing my router or ISP. Or could it be one just needs suitable settings in the router?

Any advice or pointers welcome. I mean surely this must be a pretty common requirement.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Mong. Mine's plugged into my Cisco ADSL router with an ethernet cable, and that's on PlusNet not Sky broadband. Works fine. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.
    Last edited by VectraMan; 20 February 2013, 09:34.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I have a Sky Box for my TV, which I would like to connect to the Internet. But the Sky helpdesk say my broadband router cannot be used for this and that for Sky one must use a "special router".
      I think there is the problem. The standard response to I have a problem is to spend money with us to fix it.

Connecting a sky box to the internet is usually a matter of plug in cable and then possibly telling sky that you've plugged it in (via their self service website).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Mines plugged into a home plug works fine. Used to be that Sky frigged it to work only with Sky BB but OFTel or whoever stopped that.

Could be your box is too old? I had a first gen HD box that wasn't capable of running the EPG with the on demand stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I think there is the problem. The standard response to I have a problem is to spend money with us to fix it.
          To be fair, can you imagine the nightmare of having to talk techno-numpties through connecting up via potentially 100s of different types of router?

Mine didn't work first try because I'd plugged the cable in whilst the box was on. I.e. I assumed I knew what I was doing and didn't follow the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            To be fair, can you imagine the nightmare of having to talk techno-numpties through connecting up via potentially 100s of different types of router?

Mine didn't work first try because I'd plugged the cable in whilst the box was on. I.e. I assumed I knew what I was doing and didn't follow the instructions.
            I'm not criticising Sky. My viewpoint even if I was in charge would be the same. I'll happily support things I recommend clients and friends buy (even if I regret it later on the support front) but if you ignored my recommendation or didn't ask me in the first place sorry but I don't support it.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My Sky box is plugged into a HomePlug via an ethernet cable with the other HomePlug being upstairs next to the router. I can access all of the On Demand and Catch-up stuff with the exception of Box Office. You need the box plugged into the phone line for that, which seems a bit daft, and will never happen at my place.

Comment

My sky+ box is plugged into my Virgin media router, and works perfectly!
                Had to go into the menu system and enable Broadband Network Connection etc, but all worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
                  ... I can access all of the On Demand and Catch-up stuff with the exception of Box Office. You need the box plugged into the phone line for that, which seems a bit daft, and will never happen at my place.
                  Ah, I think that is my problem. I seem to recall it was the Box Office functionality I rang the Help Desk about.

Has anyone else had problems with that, or do the "no problem for me" replies above include the Box Office working OK?

Thanks for the replies so far BTW.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yes - Box Office needs the phone line (I guess they haven't developed an internet safe way of authentication), but when I tried it just now it said "check your box is connected to a phone line", so I don't know how you were confused by it.

I had no idea you could get box office stuff via the internet to be honest, but then I've never used Box Office in all the years I've had Sky (and never had the box plugged into a phone line either).

It is pretty good for iPlayer and the like, because it downloads and stores along with any other programmes you have recorded, so no issues over streaming speed and you can always choose the highest quality. The HD content is more or less the same as broadcast, whereas iPlayer on my telly is not bad, but noticeably lower quality and not usually in HD.

I rarely watch live TV, so it could be downloading my series links via broadband overnight and I'd never notice the difference. We can't be far off being able to ditch our dishes and aerials and just use broadband for telly.

Comment

Working...
                    X