• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lending daughter money....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lending daughter money....

My daughter and her fiancee are in the process of buying a house, for which I will be stumping up approx 25k deposit (15%).

How would you approach the legal side? Take a 15% stake on the mortgage, then being liable for any arrears if problems occur, or come up with some other form of contract to ensure that the money stays in the correct place, namely allocated to me.

Yes I will be seeking legal advice, but comments from experience are good too.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I thought in situations like this, even with best intetions, you are not going to see this money again so pay it some lipservice and then write it off?

Maybe get the daughter and partner to get an agreement that the deposit is hers so should they ever split up the money stays in your family at least, just to avoid arguments should the worst happen?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Current plan is to repay inline with the mortgage they take, so that it is seen as "The mortgage", rather than "Dad's deposit" and "The mortgage".

Have all the figures, calced and she can pay me monthly and lumps as the availability comes.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Current plan is to repay inline with the mortgage they take, so that it is seen as "The mortgage", rather than "Dad's deposit" and "The mortgage".

Have all the figures, calced and she can pay me monthly and lumps as the availability comes.
        I borrowed some money off my dad with an ex many years ago, we broke up and things turned nasty. Make sure you sign a deed of trust outlining what happens on devolution of the the title and if possible register a second charge on the property with the land registry

Comment

My daughter and her fiancee are in the process of buying a house, for which I will be stumping up approx 25k deposit (15%).

How would you approach the legal side? Take a 15% stake on the mortgage, then being liable for any arrears if problems occur, or come up with some other form of contract to ensure that the money stays in the correct place, namely allocated to me.

Yes I will be seeking legal advice, but comments from experience are good too.
          You need a pre nupt agreement that protects your 'share' in the transaction. There was an article in the torygraph about this the other week.

Due to the price of property, more and more parents are having to chip in to the deposit to enable their kids to buy a house. But at the same time, if the relationship goes tits up in the future (as they invariably do these days), the parents dont want the other partner flouncing off with the parents share.

So yes, get good legal advice and a pre nut. Its hard nosed but sadly, who can afford to kiss 25k goodbye?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
            I borrowed some money off my dad with an ex many years ago, we broke up and things turned nasty. Make sure you sign a deed of trust outlining what happens on devolution of the the title and if possible register a second charge on the property with the land registry
            Yeah, I was going to suggest a trust deed. You should be able to trust your daughter to pay you back eventually, but you'll want to ensure that if she and her guy break up, the 25k in equity remain hers.
            Last edited by formant; 20 February 2013, 13:14. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
              Yeah, I was going to suggest a trust deed. You should be able to trust your daughter to pay you back eventually, but you'll want to ensure that if she and her guy break up, the 15k in equity remain hers.
              So what happens to the other 10K?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are the mortgage company aware of the deal? Have they included the £25K debt to you in the calculation of how much to lend? Presumably that's not the case in most of these situations.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Check the sofa.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Ooops, typo.
                    Lemme fix dat...

Comment

Working...