• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITIL OSA course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIL OSA course

Have that delight inflicted upon me - There are free spaces in the group booking so makes sense not to waste the space.

How can logging call process with a service desk be spinned out over a whole 5 days?

The syllabus even has the Pareto 80/20 principle, which says a lot to me....

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Have that delight inflicted upon me - There are free spaces in the group booking so makes sense not to waste the space.

How can logging call process with a service desk be spinned out over a whole 5 days?

The syllabus even has the Pareto 80/20 principle, which says a lot to me....
    Do the course and find out. People never understand how much effort goes into handling a single service call.

And Pareto is the basis of Problem Management - something else you'll find out about.

Fsking amateur grumble rubbishses ...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Do the course and find out. People never understand how much effort goes into handling a single service call.

And Pareto is the basis of Problem Management - something else you'll find out about.

Fsking amateur grumble rubbishses ...
      I find it pretty hard to believe that problem management is seriously based on the ramblings of an Italian pea-farmer.

Pretty familar with service desk role being extended from problems, incident management to account management, but even so, five days really does seem a tad extreme! Kind of like Prince2 making classroom training for x amount of hours compulsory to jack up the training providers, call me a cynic....

Been in It for around 15 years by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
        I find it pretty hard to believe that problem management is seriously based on the ramblings of an Italian pea-farmer.

Pretty familar with service desk role being extended from problems, incident management to account management, but even so, five days really does seem a tad extreme! Kind of like Prince2 making classroom training for x amount of hours compulsory to jack up the training providers, call me a cynic....
        OK, but after close to 20 years with ITIL and SEevice Management, I'm still learning. The fact you don't understand the basis for problem management and allocation of resources for best impact is worrying. ITIL is end to end these days, in 5 days you'll only really get to understand basic principles.

Been in It for around 15 years by the way.
        Maybe. Haven't done Service Management yet, I bet. And that's what IT is these days, development is just another resource. And if you want to do another 15 years, ITIL knowledge will be a necessity.

But hey, what do I know...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The above posts are classic examples of amateurs trying to talk up their positions with total techno-bollocks.

Hth.

Comment

This particular branch of the IT industry is as dull as **** and massively overpopulated with managers who can spout buzzwords all day long, think that organising meetings is "work", but are usually too ill informed or technically illiterate to be capable of making decisions about anything more complex than what to have for lunch.

My job often comes down to telling them what to think and why to think it so that I can get on with whatever I'm supposed to be doing and they can sound clever when some other equally ill informed egomaniac dickhead tries to stick his oar in where it's not welcome.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to sit in a "war room" because some <insult> who is incapable of answering some minor question has turned it into a major issue simply because despite being in charge of dozens of people he doesn't understand what any of them do or have a clue which one might be able to help. Even with 10 people in the inevitable meeting the odds that he's managed to invite the right one are usually worse than chance.

It pays the bills, but I much prefer working in telcos or other firms where the business / end users tend to be a bit more engineering minded (that is a euphemism for less full of tulip).
            Last edited by doodab; 23 February 2013, 15:24.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              This particular branch of the IT industry is as dull as **** and massively overpopulated with managers who can spout buzzwords all day long, think that organising meetings is "work", but are usually too ill informed or technically illiterate to be capable of making decisions about anything more complex than what to have for lunch.

My job often comes down to telling them what to think and why to think it so that I can get on with whatever I'm supposed to be doing and they can sound clever when some other equally ill informed egomaniac dickhead tries to stick his oar in where it's not welcome.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to sit in a "war room" because some <insult> who is incapable of answering some minor question has turned it into a major issue simply because despite being in charge of dozens of people he doesn't understand what any of them do or have a clue which one might be able to help. Even with 10 people in the inevitable meeting the odds that he's managed to invite the right one are usually worse than chance.

It pays the bills, but I much prefer working in telcos or other firms where the business / end users tend to be a bit more engineering minded (that is a euphemism for less full of tulip).
              You are not having much fun at the moment are you?

I have to say that When I was in teleco's back in the early 2k's it was very cut and shut mentality and yes it was fun.

I think there are too many people in the industry today and I regularly found myself asking spares what they were doing in my meetings at my last place and service management was nearly always the answer. It's not all balls of locks but my mate once put it as a method of turning a team of 5 into 25 without any identifiable improvement or benefit.

Comment

OK, so what does IT do for a living. Hint: it's not there to keep coders off the streets. Like it or not, you are in a service industry. If your processs dont't work or you have people hiding behind them, it's becuase you're cocking up how they should be used,

And, for what it's worth, I've worked at four telcos. Universally they were disorganised, had no idea of their infrastructure (I found two unused Sun F15ks worth around £550k each at one of them) and worked on an internal old boys network that had no relationship to the organisation charts. And that's precisely why techies love them: they can hide in their corner, play with the latest toys and not get found out.

HTH
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Like it or not, your customers are in a service industry. If their processs (sic) dont't (sic) work or they have people hiding behind them, it's becuase (sic) they're cocking up how they should be used
                  This may well be true, but it's missing the point.

Due to the nature of what I do I see a lot of IT departments from the inside (although I don't do service delivery) and my point is that these organisations are, almost without exception, massively top heavy with people who aren't directly involved in delivering service at all. They generally have more dead wood than a timber merchants.

The contrast with technically focussed firms (telcos were an example, but I've also worked at engineering firms and so on) is simply that I usually end up dealing with all together more capable, technically savvy people who will actually take decisions or get things done rather than react to every request for information by calling a meeting. They generally seem to have a very different ratio of doers to bulltulipters.

ITIL itself makes a great deal of sense, if you read the books. Unfortunately is seems that the organisations most overzealous about embracing it are the ones most desperately in need of a magic bullet. What most of them need is actually a lethal injection.
                  Last edited by doodab; 24 February 2013, 08:15.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

OK, so what does IT do for a living. Hint: it's not there to keep coders off the streets. Like it or not, you are in a service industry. If your processs dont't work or you have people hiding behind them, it's becuase you're cocking up how they should be used,

And, for what it's worth, I've worked at four telcos. Universally they were disorganised, had no idea of their infrastructure (I found two unused Sun F15ks worth around £550k each at one of them) and worked on an internal old boys network that had no relationship to the organisation charts. And that's precisely why techies love them: they can hide in their corner, play with the latest toys and not get found out.

HTH
                    Ah sun kit

The 15k's belonged to Vodafone and there was a very lucky sun admin who had 2 concurrent contracts running them for different parts of the business. It wasn't me. I was trying to defend Vodafone live but the guy was legend...

Not as good as the wheeze at Bristol and west who bought one by accident and then spent a fortune on security software that turned out to be freeware... 100k to install tripwire where was I when that job got handed out...

Comment

Working...
                    X