• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hugo Chavez dies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugo Chavez dies

At 58 & naturally it was the gringos wot dun it
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

And the military have been deployed across the country. Is it 1980 again?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      That would be nice, with my skills I could retire by now. Obviously I'd have to leave school first.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Probably to both supress any disturbances and to give the military time to decide who should be democratically elected next
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I shall be a typically unfeeling unsympathic lizard & say "Good riddance".
          I'm feeling lizardy today then.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I shall be a typically unfeeling unsympathic lizard & say "Good riddance".
            He nationalised the oil industry. Nobody or no country survives that
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I'm feeling lizardy today then.
              Isn't that a private matter between you and Zeity?

Comment

He appeared to have principles. I respect him for that. Whether he was better or worse than what would have happened if he wasn't there is difficult to say.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  He appeared to have principles. I respect him for that. Whether he was better or worse than what would have happened if he wasn't there is difficult to say.
                  Could you not say the same about Blair <spit>?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Could you not say the same about Blair <spit>?
                    Actually you could. I don't like Blair <spit indeed>, essentially for the Iraq war, the control-freakery, the disregard for liberty in our own country, and the unswerving conviction that God is on his side. But he did have principles and he did achieve some good.

For one example among many, he came in on "education, education, education" and by the end of the New Labour government English school results had surpassed the Scots for the first time. (Steps are currently under way which will fix that).

Chavez had a (similar??) tendency to bombast and authoritarianism, but he was not a dictator as far as I can see, and he did inspire and improve the lot of the Venezuelan people and much of his continent.

Anyone who can stick it to the imperialist wing of DC without being a communist on the way (and he wasn't) deserves respect.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X