• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Termination Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to terminate a contract ASAP.

My contract with the agency states the notice period to terminate is as per the Assignment Schedule Note attached. No such note exists, all I have is email confirmation from the agent detailing the contract duration (6 months) and daily rate. No mention of notice period.

Therefore do you think I could claim as this isn't specified I believed the notice period is one week as per most contracts I've worked on before? Nothing has been agreed verbally in relation to the notice period.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If there's no notice period it means there's no notice period - you're there till contract end.

Of course you can still walk. While the agent could sue for breach of contract they probably won't, you will just have burnt your bridge with that client.

If you have to leave, why don't you just explain why? Family emergencies always happen and although he won't be happy he may understand.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks cojak.

Just to be clear the contract is not a pure B2B contract, it doesn't state I have no notice period and have to stay for the duration. It refers to a piece of information that should be detailed in a separate cover note, but isn't.

Therefore does this not imply a notice period exists, and I believed that in good faith to be the usual one week?

Comment

Originally posted by Axe1974 View Post
        Just to be clear the contract is not a pure B2B contract
        Is this a contract of employment? (and if it is, why are you posting to a contractor forum?)
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Contracts in which I have not been able to give notice have clearly stated so.

However, as mentioned above, if you really need to leave could you not have a conversation with the client and come to some arrangement. Whilst they may well be peed off, most people are reasonable and if circumstances are such, you should be able to reach an arrangement.

Comment

GB9 - thanks, when I have seen contracts with no notice period before that has been explicitly stated.

Comment

You could get a substitute in, assuming you have a decent sub clause.

You could just refuse the work, assuming that you have a decent MOO clause.

You could take a lot of holiday.

You could just not turn up.

You could ask the agency where the missing information is.

You could break the contract and face any consequences.

You could not legally break the contract and say "I assumed that I could give a week's notice as that's what I normally have", to which the agency response would be "You assumed wrong - it's no notice, as that's what we normally have" or similar.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Or jus talk to the client and be honesT? If you have a genuine reason then most clients are forgiving and will let you leave. Contractors are expensive. Unhappy contractors are a waste.

If it is because you have found a contract with a higher rate then they will be less likely to let you leave early.

Comment

I agree the best option is to sit down with the client and discuss.

TheFaQQer - thanks for your options, out of interest, lets say a contractor started taking loads of holiday, sick days, not turning up etc. and was working on another contract at the same time, then the agent/client became aware of this, could they sue for not fulfilling their contract due to you working on another?

Comment

Originally posted by Axe1974 View Post
                    I agree the best option is to sit down with the client and discuss.

TheFaQQer - thanks for your options, out of interest, lets say a contractor started taking loads of holiday, sick days, not turning up etc. and was working on another contract at the same time, then the agent/client became aware of this, could they sue for not fulfilling their contract due to you working on another?
                    So, we're getting close to finding out why you need to terminate ASAP....

The client can't do anything - you don't have a contractual relationship with them.

The agency can only do anything if you have breached the contract, and the course of action depends on whether it's a breach of warranty or a breach of conditions. So, what does the contract say??
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X