• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Single day contracts ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single day contracts ?

Hi,

I've been given the opportunity to do a 1 day contract with a client about an hour's drive from home. They need a fix for a specific unix problem. Money on offer is quite poor so I pushed for 2 days.

I have never done anything remotely this short, have you ? Any good or bad implications ? Is there a danger of not getting paid ? What's in this for the agency ? You would hardly think it worth their while.

Jim

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Hi,

I've been given the opportunity to do a 1 day contract with a client about an hour's drive from home. They need a fix for a specific unix problem. Money on offer is quite poor so I pushed for 2 days.

I have never done anything remotely this short, have you ? Any good or bad implications ? Is there a danger of not getting paid ? What's in this for the agency ? You would hardly think it worth their while.

Jim
    Have done 1 contract of 1 day. A vendor wanted to pitch something to an existing client, but they needed contract expertise in one aspect. Their usual guy pulled out so they got me at the last minute. Expenses and all, unusually. It was OK. I would worry about a technical fix. Some stupid missing piece of the setup or environment could easily eat up most of a day (or week). But they must know that. I would hope.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Go in, do a bloody good job, leave them your details and wait for the repeat business. I certainly wouldn't be pushing my terms on the client for an extra days work. Use it as a loss leader but also a potential to go in, spot some problems or areas you could add value to them and then pitch it back at the rate you want
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've done a one day extension before. Client had me in for some specific issues to fix and a week later asked me back for a day.

Always worth doing, just to get your foot in the door, like.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Single day contracts ?

I've done a 5 day contract before, and yes it did get paid late funnily enough. I would still go for it though for the reasons stated above. What have you got to lose?
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Go in, do a bloody good job, leave them your details and wait for the repeat business.
            This.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Nah, couldnt be arsed.

Same reason I wont accept anything under 3 months. Stupid agents always but always ask 'why did you leave early?' on anything between 4 - 10 weeks. So you try and explain it was a short contract and their next question is 'Well why didnt they extend you? Were you not very good?'!

As I said, cant be arsed with the hassle.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Nah, couldnt be arsed.

Same reason I wont accept anything under 3 months. Stupid agents always but always ask 'why did you leave early?' on anything between 4 - 10 weeks. So you try and explain it was a short contract and their next question is 'Well why didnt they extend you? Were you not very good?'!

As I said, cant be arsed with the hassle.
                Well, you are unlikely to put a single day job on a cv

I was paid a half day once to review a bid, took an hour to review it and an hour to make some suggestions. Agent paid in less than a week and I did it one evening after work. Never got any repeat business but you never know. It didn't go on my cv either.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  Well, you are unlikely to put a single day job on a cv

I was paid a half day once to review a bid, took an hour to review it and an hour to make some suggestions. Agent paid in less than a week and I did it one evening after work. Never got any repeat business but you never know. It didn't go on my cv either.

Did you ask for cash in hand?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We had a two day contract turn into a 3 year stay once. Do appreciate that is the exception to the rule!

If you have nothing else on..... It is a new client to impress and it shows you have a broader client base with specific assignments and not a disguised employee.

Dr Pepper.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                    X