• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Requirement for PI and EL insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requirement for PI and EL insurance

Can anyone advise please?

Been contracting in telecoms, using my own LTD Co for a few years now, before that I was using umbrella's. Only ever had Public Liability Insurance, either my own, or via the brollie. Never been asked for anything further.

New contract, doing very similar stuff for a new client and have been asked to show proof of Professional Indemnity and Employers Liability.

From the Simply Business Website (whom I use and would recommend) I get:

What is public liability insurance?
    This type of insurance would cover a business if a customer or member of the public was to suffer a loss or injury as a result of its business activities and if that person made a claim for compensation. The insurance would cover the compensation payment plus any legal expenses.

Other types of insurance you may wish a business to have

Employers' Liability Insurance - If you employ staff you must take out Employers' Liability Insurance by law. This cover is designed to protect the interests of employees in terms of illness or accident at work.

Professional Indemnity Insurance - if you hire a professional, for example an accountant or project manager, to work for you or your business you may wish to check that they hold adequate Professional Indemnity Insurance. This enables a company to meet the cost of claims against them for any of the following:

Any negligent act, error or omission.
    Implied Statutory Terms (e.g. Sale of Goods Act 1979).
    Unintentional Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights.
    Loss of Documents/Data entrusted to the insured.
    Unintentional libel, slander, defamation.
    Unintentional breach of confidence, confidential duty or misuse of information.

SB want another £500+ to cover me for these.

Im trying to explain to the client that I cant see that I need them, all they come back with its "mandatory" but they cant seem to give a reason why its needed.

I dont employ anyone....so thats the need for employers liability explained.

Proffessional liability.... Im also struggling to see how I would need this.

My role consists of:
    Arriving at a telecom site on behalf of my client, accepting a delivery of equipment, installing said equipment (powering up, bolting to floor etc), Commissioning it and then bringing it live on air (albeit on several visits sometimes).

I will also fill out survey forms on occasion so that future planned works can be carried out.

When I spoke to simply business, two of them said they cant see a reason for me to have it. That in its own right says something, not often you see an insurance company refusing work, lol.

Can anyone offer advice or explanations I can use to get my client see sense?

Cheers

Originally posted by Tomo1971 View Post
    Can anyone advise please?

Been contracting in telecoms, using my own LTD Co for a few years now, before that I was using umbrella's. Only ever had Public Liability Insurance, either my own, or via the brollie. Never been asked for anything further.

New contract, doing very similar stuff for a new client and have been asked to show proof of Professional Indemnity and Employers Liability.

From the Simply Business Website (whom I use and would recommend) I get:

What is public liability insurance?
    This type of insurance would cover a business if a customer or member of the public was to suffer a loss or injury as a result of its business activities and if that person made a claim for compensation. The insurance would cover the compensation payment plus any legal expenses.

Other types of insurance you may wish a business to have

Employers' Liability Insurance - If you employ staff you must take out Employers' Liability Insurance by law. This cover is designed to protect the interests of employees in terms of illness or accident at work.

Professional Indemnity Insurance - if you hire a professional, for example an accountant or project manager, to work for you or your business you may wish to check that they hold adequate Professional Indemnity Insurance. This enables a company to meet the cost of claims against them for any of the following:

Any negligent act, error or omission.
    Implied Statutory Terms (e.g. Sale of Goods Act 1979).
    Unintentional Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights.
    Loss of Documents/Data entrusted to the insured.
    Unintentional libel, slander, defamation.
    Unintentional breach of confidence, confidential duty or misuse of information.

SB want another £500+ to cover me for these.

Im trying to explain to the client that I cant see that I need them, all they come back with its "mandatory" but they cant seem to give a reason why its needed.

I dont employ anyone....so thats the need for employers liability explained.

Proffessional liability.... Im also struggling to see how I would need this.

My role consists of:
    Arriving at a telecom site on behalf of my client, accepting a delivery of equipment, installing said equipment (powering up, bolting to floor etc), Commissioning it and then bringing it live on air (albeit on several visits sometimes).

I will also fill out survey forms on occasion so that future planned works can be carried out.

When I spoke to simply business, two of them said they cant see a reason for me to have it. That in its own right says something, not often you see an insurance company refusing work, lol.

Can anyone offer advice or explanations I can use to get my client see sense?

Cheers
    QDOS do a pretty good joint package offer, which seems to fit most contractor needs.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      QDOS do a pretty good joint package offer, which seems to fit most contractor needs.
      Funny you say that... just been on their site and can get what I need (and more) for less than SB.

BUT, its a matter of principle.... why pay something that I really dont need to... unless someone can tell me otherwise of course ;-)

Comment

It's cheap as chips. Buy it and forget it. Not worth sweating over.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Only Employer's Liability is a legal requirement if you have more than 1 working employee. There is no legal requirement for the rest.

Some agencies do insist on PI and or PL insurance so you either take it or they'll pass you over.

As has been said, QDOS do competitively priced quotes.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Only Employer's Liability is a legal requirement if you have more than 1 working employee. There is no legal requirement for the rest.

Some agencies do insist on PI and or PL insurance so you either take it or they'll pass you over.

As has been said, QDOS do competitively priced quotes.
            Yeah, I see that QDOS do the same level of cover than I get now, plus the PI (and more) for less than Im paying now. Thats an option.

My main gripe is that the client dont even know what the insurances cover and are just stating the same line over and over 'its mandatory' with no logical explanation why we need it.

Yes, I will pay it if i need to but why pay for something that I will never need, especially in the instance of the Employers Liability.

One of the managers on the HR side spoke to one of the other contractors who also recently started and he didnt even know what they were for and cant understand why they are been requested. At the moment we think its a legacy requirement from when they passed work to small companies that had a few employees.

We will see what transpires.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's cheap as chips. Buy it and forget it. Not worth sweating over.
              Why should I buy something that I dont need.

Im doing this to make money, not as a hobby. Its a matter of principle. Yes, I will get it if they can show good reason why I need it, if not they either change their policy or I will need to look for other work

Comment

Why should I buy something that I dont need.

Im doing this to make money, not as a hobby. Its a matter of principle. Yes, I will get it if they can show good reason why I need it, if not they either change their policy or I will need to look for other work
                Can you forward me the details of the gig. I am willing to stump up an extra £150 or so (tax deductable) for a tidy gig for the next 6 months.

I will drop some coins in your cup of principles when I pass you asleep in the street......

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Can you forward me the details of the gig. I am willing to stump up an extra £150 or so (tax deductable) for a tidy gig for the next 6 months.

I will drop some coins in your cup of principles when I pass you asleep in the street......
                  Were you born a dick or did you come on here to practice been one?

Comment

Were you born a dick or did you come on here to practice been one?
                    It's an online forum so I can be my alternate persona, just like on Thursday nights when I am Samantha. I didn't think I need to practice being one on here though. I thought it was pretty common knowledge I was a pretty accomplished dick.

Comment

Working...
                    X