• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor switching agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor switching agencies

Hi,

I've got a friend who is currently contracting with Company A for Bank A. However, the working conditions are terrible and he has been looking to switch jobs.

He successfully applied for another contractor role with Company B, but because the role is also for Bank A, Company B withdrew the job offer from him.

He has then spoke with Company A but they have stated it is Bank A's policy and they cannot do anything about it. Even if he resigns now, he would have to wait 6 months before being able to work for Bank A under a different company.

Please could you help us to understand the legalities behind this, because it just seems so unfair that he cannot change jobs just because he is working under a different company for the same bank.

Also if it makes any difference, he did not sign the opt-out form when he first started for Company A.

Thanks for your help!

Search the forums... We have done handcuff clauses at least twice this week alone.

The sticky at the top of this part of the forum gives you the best way to search.

I don't know what is happening this last few weeks with the same question being asked 2 or 3 times in a matter of days but I just can't be bothered to go over it all again....

Quick answer, you cannot just switch agents because you don't like them. The handcuff clause in your contract will stop you doing it. If Agent A is going to lose money on your friend switching then he has a rock solid case. He has a high chance of getting binned by the client as well as he doesn't want to bother being referee to a handbag fight between two agents..

Do a search for the rest of the details. Look for handcuff or other similar terms...

How will the working conditions be any different if he is just switching agents BTW?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Search the forums... We have done handcuff clauses at least twice this week alone.

The sticky at the top of this part of the forum gives you the best way to search.

I don't know what is happening this last few weeks with the same question being asked 2 or 3 times in a matter of days but I just can't be bothered to go over it all again....

Quick answer, you cannot just switch agents because you don't like them. The handcuff clause in your contract will stop you doing it. If Agent A is going to lose money on your friend switching then he has a rock solid case. He has a high chance of getting binned by the client as well as he doesn't want to bother being referee to a handbag fight between two agents..

Do a search for the rest of the details. Look for handcuff or other similar terms...

How will the working conditions be any different if he is just switching agents BTW?
      Hello, thanks for your reply!

I had no idea it was called a handcuff clause, so I apologise for asking the same question someone else might have asked.

His working conditions will be different because it is for a different function for the bank. Currently he is on a 0 hour contract and the working conditions are really terrible. He didn't even know that it was for the same bank when he had applied for the role with Company B because it was for a different job function entirely.

Is there anything he can do at all? Company A are saying it's the bank's policy but is it? Whose handcuff clause is it really?

I'm sorry for being so confused but we're just feeling so helpless here

Comment

Originally posted by befuddled View Post
        Hello, thanks for your reply!

I had no idea it was called a handcuff clause, so I apologise for asking the same question someone else might have asked.

His working conditions will be different because it is for a different function for the bank. Currently he is on a 0 hour contract and the working conditions are really terrible. He didn't even know that it was for the same bank when he had applied for the role with Company B because it was for a different job function entirely.

Is there anything he can do at all? Company A are saying it's the bank's policy but is it? Whose handcuff clause is it really?

I'm sorry for being so confused but we're just feeling so helpless here
        Use the search and read up on handcuffs...

Some reads for you but do the search yourself for more options...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-required.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...me-client.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-agencies.html
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by befuddled View Post
          He successfully applied for another contractor role with Company B, but because the role is also for Bank A, Company B withdrew the job offer from him.
          I'm a bit confused, are Company A and Company B employment agencies?
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X