• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird agent or is it me who is weird?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird agent or is it me who is weird?

An agent called me with an opportunity near London toward Reading. After asking for more details I received a generic job description (location Berkshire). Anyway, I sent him my CV to see what happens. He called me couple of days later, Friday asking when can I go for an interview on next Tuesday. We agreed on the time and that he will confirm with the Client and send me a confirmation. He did not.

I searched his company in the Companies House and found that he is a one man limited with a dormant account. The company was formed late 2011 and take over by him late 2012. This did not make me feel very confident about his business. Do I want my money to flow through him - not likely.

He knew, but later on Friday I reiterated to him in an email that I am on a trip outside of UK and I need the confirmation, so I may arrange for a flight. So he sent me the confirmation and in which it became apparent that the location is not between London and Reading, but rather London and Bristol. At this point I called him and told him that the rate that he offered will not cover my business expenses. I asked if he could at least guarantee the upper limit he offered me if the client is happy with me after he interview. His answer was wishy-washy than hung up on me abruptly.

I am relieved, because I was worried that he is a dishonest businessman. He has a LinkedIn profile with about 35 contacts and no picture.

Weird, or perhaps I am weird not willing to travel to the boondocks in these market conditions. I have a reasonable war chest for about six months.

I wonder if I have done the right thing. Should I have done anything differently?
    My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Originally posted by istvan View Post
    An agent called me with an opportunity near London toward Reading. After asking for more details I received a generic job description (location Berkshire). Anyway, I sent him my CV to see what happens. He called me couple of days later, Friday asking when can I go for an interview on next Tuesday. We agreed on the time and that he will confirm with the Client and send me a confirmation. He did not.

I searched his company in the Companies House and found that he is a one man limited with a dormant account. The company was formed late 2011 and take over by him late 2012. This did not make me feel very confident about his business. Do I want my money to flow through him - not likely.

He knew, but later on Friday I reiterated to him in an email that I am on a trip outside of UK and I need the confirmation, so I may arrange for a flight. So he sent me the confirmation and in which it became apparent that the location is not between London and Reading, but rather London and Bristol. At this point I called him and told him that the rate that he offered will not cover my business expenses. I asked if he could at least guarantee the upper limit he offered me if the client is happy with me after he interview. His answer was wishy-washy than hung up on me abruptly.

I am relieved, because I was worried that he is a dishonest businessman. He has a LinkedIn profile with about 35 contacts and no picture.

Weird, or perhaps I am weird not willing to travel to the boondocks in these market conditions. I have a reasonable war chest for about six months.

I wonder if I have done the right thing. Should I have done anything differently?
    Always the first question you ask is "Who is the client?". If that isn't answered clearly, then the conversation stops.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Always the first question you ask is "Who is the client?". If that isn't answered clearly, then the conversation stops.
      +1
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

+ 2

Comment

+3
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Yeap dodgy. He could just be going a bit further than oral to get some references off you. Also would you be happy with your company extending 30 days credit or more to this company? I wouldnt

Comment

Originally posted by istvan View Post
              You could have forgotten the whole thing even earlier.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I suspect that this is a redundant IT manager who has set himself up as a recruiter and is a bit green around the ears and perhaps a bit disorganised. Hard to see what the scam is, he wasn´t asking for references. Obviously a one man band will always be somewhat riskier, from a financial perspective.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I had an agent from an agency I've dealt with before tell me last week that the client had forbidden them from disclosing the name, but it was based in London.

"So, when the next agency rings me and asks if I've been put forward for this role, how do I know whether it's the same role or not?" I asked

"Ah - they won't tell you the client name either, and it will be based in London".

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I had an agent from an agency I've dealt with before tell me last week that the client had forbidden them from disclosing the name, but it was based in London.

"So, when the next agency rings me and asks if I've been put forward for this role, how do I know whether it's the same role or not?" I asked

"Ah - they won't tell you the client name either, and it will be based in London".

Agency A: we have a possible role in Germany.
                    Me: Who's it with?
                    Agency A: Can't tell you yet.
                    Me: where is it?
                    Agency A:It's in Cologne.

Agency B: we have a possible role in Germany.
                    Me: Who's it with?
                    Agency B: Can't tell you yet.
                    Me: where is it?
                    Agency B:It's in Cologne.
                    Me: I already have a possibility there.
                    Agency B: Who's it with?
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X