• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Investment Banks VAT exempt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Investment Banks VAT exempt?

Hi,

I am currently in a perm software developer position and got a contract offer from an investment bank and they say I cannot charge them VAT because they are VAT exempt. They also say I will have to use Limited company to provide them with services and I cannot go via Umbrella company/PAYE.

Is this the normal practice with investment banks? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by sthotakura View Post
    Hi,

I am currently in a perm software developer position and got a contract offer from an investment bank and they say I cannot charge them VAT because they are VAT exempt. They also say I will have to use Limited company to provide them with services and I cannot go via Umbrella company/PAYE.

Is this the normal practice with investment banks? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
    Regardless of the client, if any client is VAT exempt or not registered for VAT; you still must charge them VAT.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Hi,

That sounds really odd and completely wrong.

Are you actually working for a bank or are you working for an agency that contracts your services to a bank?
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Regardless of the client, if any client is VAT exempt or not registered for VAT; you still must charge them VAT.
        Not quite. If you are VAT regisered you have to charge VAT. If you gross over £75k you have to be VAT registered.

I would be very suspicious of a bank of any kind that doesn't understand this, or claims not to...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Are you actually working for a bank or are you working for an agency that contracts your services to a bank?
          Thanks for your reply. The offer is direct for the Bank.

Comment

It´s not normal but if it isn´t in the UK and you are working home then yes this may well be the case. I would go and see an accountant. If you elaborate in more depth and post in the Accounting/Legal forum some accountant might give you some clues.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 March 2013, 08:53.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The offer is direct for the Bank.
              It's not the bank of Cyprus is it?

You might want to negotiate 7 day terms on your invoice, paid in anything other than Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Not quite. If you are VAT regisered you have to charge VAT. If you gross over £75k you have to be VAT registered.

I would be very suspicious of a bank of any kind that doesn't understand this, or claims not to...
                WHS. You only charge VAT if YOU are registered. If you client isn't registered, they have to pay it and it makes you seem 20% more expensive. If they are, they claim it back.

However depending where your client is based, you might NOT have to charge VAT. When I've had US clients, and my current Swedish client, I do not charge VAT.

More details please. Who is client?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

WHS. My understanding is that you don't charge VAT to anyone outside the EU, but a client inside the EU (but not the UK) you don't actually charge the VAT as long as they're VAT registered in their local country - but you still list it on your VAT return. Reading between the lines it sounds like the latter is probably true.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    More details please. Who is client?
                    Thanks for your reply. Client is Morgan Stanley and the location is Glasgow.

Comment

Working...
                    X