• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

do you post your CV on job boards?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you post your CV on job boards?

Just got off the phone with a pimp who advised me to remove my CV from the job boards as it looks too unprofessional if my CV turns up at a client from multiple sources.

Anyone know what proportion of agencies have sole agreements (roughly). There may be some truth in the pimps claim but at the same time 2012 was apparently one of the worst years for the IT market so I am still thinking ... get the CV spread as far and wide as possible.

Just, curious but does anyone not put their CV on the jobboards when searching for their next contract?

Maybe a generic like Monster you could leave out but I still think its good to post on at least Jobserve, itjobboard etc...

Load of rubbish imo, pimp that CV far and wide.

I actually get quite a few calls from my CV posting on Monster.

They say LinkedIn is taking over but I think its got a few years before it gets there imo.

Comment

the only way your CV would get to a client from multiple sources if recruiter sent it without gaining your permission first.
      generally, you don't want to be working with recruiters who don't have the good manners to speak to you first.

you should update your CV periodically, certainly as you come close to the end of a contract.

recruiters tend to look only for recently added, or recently updated CVs, to ensure freshness.

put your CV wherever you deem fit.

Comment

Complete load of rubbish from a pimp who thinks he's got a innocent newbie on the hook.

And Monster is the best job board for pimps speaking to me about jobs that haven't been advertised yet.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I don't want to be rude but I can't help thinking that some people bring this type of thing on themselves in the way they deal with the agents. I would like to think I come across well enough for him to know not to try pull anything like this. To that end I have never had an agent fishing or asking me for 2 references before contract offer etc etc...

Surely much of this only comes about because the pimp is overcome by the smell of newbie and tries every trick in the book. He won't be in a job long if he is trying this with everyone.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Perhaps your scary reputation?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I don't want to be rude but I can't help thinking that some people bring this type of thing on themselves in the way they deal with the agents. I would like to think I come across well enough for him to know not to try pull anything like this. To that end I have never had an agent fishing or asking me for 2 references before contract offer etc etc...

Surely much of this only comes about because the pimp is overcome by the smell of newbie and tries every trick in the book. He won't be in a job long if he is trying this with everyone.
              WHS!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Equally, if you take a good sniff you can easily smell a pro agent from a newbie agent. The two or three really good ones I know never waste time with this sort of thing, they just get straight to the point.

In response to OP’s question, it’s a load of rubbish. I’ve posted all over the place and applied for (what appears to be) to same role with different agencies many times and never had a problem. However, if you do get an interview, just make sure you know who put you forward, who the client is dealing with, and don’t maintain discussions with more than one agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
                  Equally, if you take a good sniff you can easily smell a pro agent from a newbie agent. The two or three really good ones I know never waste time with this sort of thing, they just get straight to the point.

In response to OP’s question, it’s a load of rubbish. I’ve posted all over the place and applied for (what appears to be) to same role with different agencies many times and never had a problem. However, if you do get an interview, just make sure you know who put you forward, who the client is dealing with, and don’t maintain discussions with more than one agent.
                  The reason the agent is saying is utter rubbish, the chances of two agents proactively finding you from the CV boards is pretty slim. I have, however, been put though to the same gig by two agents (one said financial in Manchester, the other said in Cheshire. WTF) and I got asked not to interview while sat in the car park due to the client having to deal with two moaning agents so he just dropped me. I wouldn't advise getting stuck in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Perhaps your scary reputation?
                    If it stops them pulling this type of stupid trick on me then I can live with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X