• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to a contract after three months ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to a contract after three months ??

I recently left a company in January after being there for two years.

Three months later there desperate to have me back

What are the rules around breaks in employment in terms of the 2 year rule for expenses ??

Having contracted to a different company will this reset the clock so to speak

Originally posted by u9k82 View Post
    I recently left a company in January after being there for two years.

Three months later there desperate to have me back

What are the rules around breaks in employment in terms of the 2 year rule for expenses ??

Having contracted to a different company will this reset the clock so to speak
    The two year rule relates to the location you are working, not the client. The clock doesn't "reset", it's to do with the amount of time you have spent there over the past two years.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

so if the registered office is different to my original engagement or on a "work from my business premises" basis this should be ok ?

Comment

so if the registered office is different to my original engagement or on a "work from my business premises" basis this should be ok ?
        Don't think so. It relates to your destination i.e. where you will be, not where you are traveling from.

Eg, if you work in London commuting in from Bristol for two years and then move to Bath, you cannot claim that London is still a temporary location and claim expenses.

Comment

If you aren't working in the same geographic location, then yes. If you are working in the same geographic location, then no.

If you were working in London, and you are still working in London, then the location hasn't changed. If you were working in London and you are now working in Edinburgh, then the location has changed.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If you aren't working in the same geographic location, then yes. If you are working in the same geographic location, then no.

If you were working in London, and you are still working in London, then the location hasn't changed. If you were working in London and you are now working in Edinburgh, then the location has changed.
            Thanks for the advice its clearer now.

So the fact i worked in a different geographic location for three months doesnt change much ?!

Also Even though The registered location of the contract in question has always been London (2 years) I have actually been based all over the country in terms of actual location probably spending 2 days a week in london.

Comment

Thanks for the advice its clearer now.

So the fact i worked in a different geographic location for three months doesnt change much ?!

Also Even though The registered location of the contract in question has always been London (2 years) I have actually been based all over the country in terms of actual location probably spending 2 days a week in london.
              The rule is 40% of your time over the last two years. The fact you only worked 2 days a week in London may be to your advantage because if that contains you will be under that 40% rule.

If its a 3 month contract 100% in London I think you'll find you're screwed tho.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

so someone who undertakes consecutive contracts with different clients in London and is based outside london has to stop claiming expenses after 2 years ?

seems a little silly

mind you .... HMRC.....makes sense

Comment

so someone who undertakes consecutive contracts with different clients in London and is based outside london has to stop claiming expenses after 2 years ?

seems a little silly

mind you .... HMRC.....makes sense
                  Yes because you're commute is into London. Think about it a permie chooses to commute into London on a daily basis after two years in a contract you are simply choosing to do the same.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Yes because you're commute is into London. Think about it a permie chooses to commute into London on a daily basis after two years in a contract you are simply choosing to do the same.
                    To what resolution does this requirement go down to? London is a big (scary) place.

Comment

Working...
                    X