• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax relief on using own car for business purposes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax relief on using own car for business purposes?

Hi there; can someone advise me on my circumstances? I'm a Ltd Company director; I'm claiming mileage/fuel through my expenses but haven't claimed any relief on using my own car. This is my second year trading and I am quite surprised HMRC didn't pick up on this after I submitted my first year accounts; if I am claiming mileage/fuel I'm wondering why they wouldn't have questioned what the fuel was going into?
    I was discussing my company with an ex-colleague over the weekend and he seemed to think I should be claiming depreciation of my vehicle, cost of servicing, tyres etc?
    I'm not too sure and my accountant is on holiday (again!!!)

Originally posted by gatersUK View Post
    Hi there; can someone advise me on my circumstances? I'm a Ltd Company director; I'm claiming mileage/fuel through my expenses but haven't claimed any relief on using my own car. This is my second year trading and I am quite surprised HMRC didn't pick up on this after I submitted my first year accounts; if I am claiming mileage/fuel I'm wondering why they wouldn't have questioned what the fuel was going into?
    I was discussing my company with an ex-colleague over the weekend and he seemed to think I should be claiming depreciation of my vehicle, cost of servicing, tyres etc?
    I'm not too sure and my accountant is on holiday (again!!!)
    Assuming by mileage you mean the 45p/mile, then that's all you can claim. Theory being the actual fuel cost is only maybe 15p (varies a lot depending upon mpg etc) so the "profit" on each mile contributes towards depreciation, insurance, servicing etc etc.

Ltd Co directors can't apportion costs like sole traders can. It's either a company car (whole new can of worms) or it's your private car and you reclaim mileage.

I'd suggest in the current year you reverse out the fuel costs you put through in year 1. Doesn't surprise me HMRC didn't spot it. It's self assessment, your responsibility to put in accurate figures. They'll look into some, especially where figures look odd, but only the whole they accept what you provide as factual. Them not questioning it doesn't mean they've agreed your figures are spot on, or that you shouldn't correct the mistake.

Comment

Why would the company pay the servicing costs and depreciation of your personal car??? You claim the 45p per mile which covers all of these. Nothing else you can do. It is a personal car.

You could look in to your company buying it but you will get heavily stung for Benefit In Kind as it is available for personal use so just isn't worth it.

Use the search function as described in the link below and search for 'company car' or something like that. We have gone over company car benefits many times. In a nutshell claim your 45/25p and that is it else buy a company car in which case you are likely to be worse off unless it is super low on emissions. The links you will find will explain.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't forget about the 24 month rule though... As soon as you know you are working in the same geographic area for 24 months you can no longer claim mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          Assuming by mileage you mean the 45p/mile, then that's all you can claim. Theory being the actual fuel cost is only maybe 15p (varies a lot depending upon mpg etc) so the "profit" on each mile contributes towards depreciation, insurance, servicing etc etc.

Ltd Co directors can't apportion costs like sole traders can. It's either a company car (whole new can of worms) or it's your private car and you reclaim mileage.

I'd suggest in the current year you reverse out the fuel costs you put through in year 1. Doesn't surprise me HMRC didn't spot it. It's self assessment, your responsibility to put in accurate figures. They'll look into some, especially where figures look odd, but only the whole they accept what you provide as factual. Them not questioning it doesn't mean they've agreed your figures are spot on, or that you shouldn't correct the mistake.

That makes sense, many thanks for the advice and direction. Forearmed is forewarned, at least I can go back and put him straight!!
          Thanks again, much obliged to you sir....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Don't forget about the 24 month rule though... As soon as you know you are working in the same geographic area for 24 months you can no longer claim mileage.
            Can you enlarge on the meaning of same geographic area? My contract covers SW Eng and S Wales!

Comment

Originally posted by gatersUK View Post
              Can you enlarge on the meaning of same geographic area? My contract covers SW Eng and S Wales!
              Jury is out on that but the specific examples provided by HMRC mention the City of London. I would guess it to be across a major city or metropolitan region. The journey has to be substantially different.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Jury is out on that but the specific examples provided by HMRC mention the City of London. I would guess it to be across a major city or metropolitan region. The journey has to be substantially different.
                Then you have to factor in the 40% rule, just to make life more difficult
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                X