• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employer Residency and 183 Day Rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this topic has been done over and over, but it's still clear as mud to me. I'm looking at a short contract in Ireland. I've had completely conflicting advice from my UK accountant, the Irish agency, seasoned UK and Irish contractors I know, purveyors of international umbrella schemes, trawls of the web (including this site). Normally I'd ask for professional advice but I can't get any "professionals" to agree. So, just for the sake of it, I want to re-raise it with a bunch of strangers on the internet to see what the current vibe is....

Assumption: I can continue to work through my UK Ltd company in Ireland, billing an Irish agency, with no requirement to pay personal or business taxes in Ireland provided: (1) I'm there for less than 183 days - easy, and (2) my employer is not resident in Ireland - this is where it gets confusing.

My employer is strictly my UK Ltd, which is obviously not resident in Ireland, but there is some concept I can't quite follow about setting up "permanent establishment" there. If I have another director who is remains in the UK, I only have "meetings" at my company premises hack home, I don't rent premises or recruit staff or anything in Ireland, then surely I've not set up permanent establishment and I'm ok? I've heard other people saying some countries won't accept my UK Ltd as being my employer at all, but it would be the end client, but I'm not sure what the basis for that would be - I'm not employed by them.

Given that I'm not going to be there for very long and will be home all/most weekends (travelling Mon-Fri) am I correct to just carry on invoicing as if I was at home? (minus the VAT and the currency symbol of course...)

Thanks!

It´s not surprising you´ll get conflicting advice. It is complicated, it´s not simply a fact of whether you are there less than 183 days ...forget that one, what is important is at what point will the Irish authorities want their tax. You have two options:

1) Tax yourself in Ireland
    If you want to do it without any doubt, and have clarity, you basically tax yourself in Ireland. You then declare that in the UK and they check it and perhaps add some extra tax. This solution is clear cut and you know where you stand. You can do this through your Ltd but you will have to register your Ltd in Ireland as well. Suffice to say you need an Irish accountant.

2) Tax yourself in the Uk
    This is unclear with grey rules about "permanent establishment". Everyone will have a different opinion as to whether you can do it and how you make sure you don´t have a permanent establishment. This way there will always be a risk, it will depend on the discretion of the Irish taxman and/or a judge. You just have to live with an unknown risk. Being there less than 183 days doesn not mean you won´t be deemed to have one.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Have you looked at the Irish taxman's website?

Also ignore anything on the web that isn't from the current Irish tax year as tax laws change frequently.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm working in Ireland and aiui you are not normally Irish Tax Resident until you have been in Ireland for 183 days in any one tax year (Jan-Dec in Ireland) or 280 days over two tax years.

Aside from that Lord knows how either side can prove anything with people popping into NI and using ferries where no docs are checked and there being no requirement to register for residency, and the Irish authorities not being the Rottweilers (yet) the Finanzamt and HMRC have become, I wouldn't worry too much.

To be safe though I record which days I'm here on a spreadsheet with the plane/ferry receipts just in case but I doubt I will break the 280 day rule.

Also bear in mind the Irish count a day as a day even if only on Irish soil for one second.....

Comment

I had to provide proof to the Swiss authorities that I was in Germany. I would definitely keep records, in case. There is nothing worse than "can you please provide proof" ....and you haven´t got any!

I used petrol receipts and access to the cash point ar the local cash machine.

When I got the enquiry I went into a panic because the petrol receipts weren´t ordered they hanging around all over the place, of course with age some of them weren´t even readable. Then I realised that maybe there weren´t enough of them, especially as I didn´t have all of them, so I spent a week and a half searching for and sifting bank statements, which were also all over the place.

This is definitely something you want to record so that if the dreaded enquiry comes you can simply lift the "proof" from some folder somewhere and send it to the taxman. Hanging on to the Ferry receipts is a good idea.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

2 scenarios here,

1. You are a non resident and ordinary resident as you have not spent greater than 183 days there, ALSO please note that I believe this is reduced to 91 days if you have been visiting for more than 91 days for 4 consecutive years so I hope this answers your personal question.

Sounds like a tricky one

Comment

Hi there,

It is the permanent establishment rule that may well make the difference here as the term Permanent Estblishment includes a place of management.

Because you are delivering your services in Ireland then the company will be deemed to have a place of management and therefore a permanent establishment in Ireland, thus becoming taxable there from day one.

In addition Irish Social contributions would be due if your company could not obtain an A1 certificate for you, which is probably wont, because it would almost certainly fail the significant trading presnce test in the UK if this is your only contract.

I have worked with a lot of contractors in Ireland and if you would like a chat or any further infomation then please do not hesitate to PM me.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue at IPAYE View Post
                Hi there,

It is the permanent establishment rule that may well make the difference here as the term Permanent Estblishment includes a place of management.

Because you are delivering your services in Ireland then the company will be deemed to have a place of management and therefore a permanent establishment in Ireland, thus becoming taxable there from day one.

Sue
                Thanks Sue, but I'm not sure I can relate to the definition of a "place of management" as being somewhere I'm delivering services - where does it derive from? According to the HMRC web site:

The Commentary to Article 4, paragraph 3 of the OECD Model Tax Convention (July 2008) defines the place of effective management as

'the place where key management and commercial decisions that are necessary for the conduct of the entity's business as a whole are in substance made. All relevant facts and circumstances must be examined to determine the place of effective management. An entity may have more than one place of management, but it can only have one place of effective management at any one time'.
                I'd not ever be making any "key management and commercial decisions" in Ireland - I'd be delivering some techie services to a client for a few weeks. Management and Commercial decisions (seeking new contracts, signing new contracts, completing and signing off accounts, arranging travel, making tax submissions etc.) are all done at my home office in the UK. My co-director (my wife) will be in the UK the whole time so we can't have a "board meeting" in Ireland. I'm not sure where this "place of management" would even be in Ireland - it can't be the client site as I'm doing tech work there - they'd be somewhat annoyed if I was at their office running my own company, and it's not at the hotel, as I'm just kipping in it and all my company documents are miles away back home on the other side of the Irish Sea, so I can't even look at them by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                  Thanks Sue, but I'm not sure I can relate to the definition of a "place of management" as being somewhere I'm delivering services - where does it derive from? According to the HMRC web site:

I'd not ever be making any "key management and commercial decisions" in Ireland - I'd be delivering some techie services to a client for a few weeks. Management and Commercial decisions (seeking new contracts, signing new contracts, completing and signing off accounts, arranging travel, making tax submissions etc.) are all done at my home office in the UK. My co-director (my wife) will be in the UK the whole time so we can't have a "board meeting" in Ireland. I'm not sure where this "place of management" would even be in Ireland - it can't be the client site as I'm doing tech work there - they'd be somewhat annoyed if I was at their office running my own company, and it's not at the hotel, as I'm just kipping in it and all my company documents are miles away back home on the other side of the Irish Sea, so I can't even look at them by accident.
                  A "permanent establishment" doesn´t relate only to where you make management decisions.

This what a Permanent Establishment is:

HMRC manual

Where there is a fixed place of business through which the business of an enterprise is wholly or partly carried on
                  In other words because you are carrying out your business in the UK and Ireland and you may potentially be deemed to have two permanent establishments, the first the UK where you manage your activities and the second is Ireland where you are working with the client. The fact that you use the client´s premises does not mean it isn´t an "Establishment".

HMRC Manual on PE´s

A Permanent Establsihment begins to exist as soon as the enterprise commences to carry on business through a fixed place of business.
                  also...

Since the place of business must be fixed, it also follows that a PE can be deemed to exist only if the place of business has a certain degree of permanency, i.e. if it is not of a purely temporary nature. A place of business may, however, constitute a PE even though it exists, in practice, only for a very short period of time.
                  That last phrase is why unfortunately you can never be sure that a tax man won´t deem your short term contract to be carried out through a permanent establishment.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 April 2013, 21:06.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks - that's interesting reading (well, sort of).

This bit in the manual looks almost encouraging...

Whilst the practices of the different Member States of the OECD are not necessarily consistent in so far as time requirements are concerned, experience has shown that PEs have normally not been considered to exist in situations where a business has been carried on in a country through a place of business that was maintained for less than six months.
                    ... until of course you notice the word "normally" and spot the exceptions documented in subsequent sentences.

Is tax law just written to be deliberately opaque ?!! I'm supposed to be providing business services to a client - not spending all day debating with accountants and lawyers about who I need to send which forms to and which tax offices I have to queue up in

Comment

Working...
                    X