• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He got a job as an AD Designer!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys,

Let’s have a little discussion, My mate just got a job he donest have experience on. (Kinda funny he got the job though – He reads a lot)

He has been a desktop support for over 3 years – Applied for “Active Directory designer” for a small comp and got the job. Kinda surprising – but like I said. He reads Technical books a lot and have theoretical knowledge but no practical experience. (He said he doesn't really do much there as to what the job tittle implied- Now he earns £400/day from £170/day on previous job) .

The question is, would you apply for a role with the fancy name which you think you can do but have no real life experience?

Yes, in a second.

If it meant 170 - 400 a day and I thought I could do it I would be an idiot not to apply.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
      Hi Guys,

Let’s have a little discussion, My mate just got a job he donest have experience on. (Kinda funny he got the job though – He reads a lot)

He has been a desktop support for over 3 years – Applied for “Active Directory designer” for a small comp and got the job. Kinda surprising – but like I said. He reads Technical books a lot and have theoretical knowledge but no practical experience. (He said he doesn't really do much there as to what the job tittle implied- Now he earns £400/day from £170/day on previous job) .

The question is, would you apply for a role with the fancy name which you think you can do but have no real life experience?
      I probably wouldn't bother applying for a contract I had no experience in as 99% of the time one would get sussed at interview stage. Waste of my time (and client's).

I might consider it if I were desperate possibly letting the client know and reducing my rate, perhaps offer a knockdown rate just to get real life experience. Small companies might buy that, large ccompanies (with lots of cash) probably couldn't be arsed and would rather pay the extra dosh for a pro.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

What does an Active Directory Designer do anyway? And especially at a small company. Sounds like they have more money than sense.

I probably wouldn't bother. I CBA wasting time going to interviews, or even having phone interviews for something I don't think I'm likely to get.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nice One!

Well done that Man!!!!

As long as he can do what is required.......

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
            No because 99.99% of the time I would be wasting my time. The general advice is you are only as good as your last contract and also in this market there will be a host of people applying for the same role with many more years demonstrable experience.

I guess once in a blue moon I might get lucky but it just isn't worth my time.

As lucky as he has been getting the gig he will get found out and then it is up to the client what to do with him. I would bet on him getting walked to be honest so..

400 a day will be nice until he get's canned and then spends 3 months on the bench because this opportunity will not happen again or 170 steady work and get some skills to back his knowledge up and grow in the role.

If I found a contractor had blagged it on my project I would be straight in asking him to be removed. Gives us all a bad name.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He'll get found out - there's always traps to catch you if you've no experience, like these fecking Tuxedo UBB configs I'm writing, no way could you ever do it following the docs!

Also I have my own method of building HACMP on AIX, works brilliantly but the first 20 or so I built were horrendous due to following guides.

AD is LDAP, not a simple concept to grasp...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                No because 99.99% of the time I would be wasting my time. The general advice is you are only as good as your last contract and also in this market there will be a host of people applying for the same role with many more years demonstrable experience.

I guess once in a blue moon I might get lucky but it just isn't worth my time.

As lucky as he has been getting the gig he will get found out and then it is up to the client what to do with him. I would bet on him getting walked to be honest so..

400 a day will be nice until he get's canned and then spends 3 months on the bench because this opportunity will not happen again or 170 steady work and get some skills to back his knowledge up and grow in the role.

If I found a contractor had blagged it on my project I would be straight in asking him to be removed. Gives us all a bad name.
                What are you, five years old or something? Get a grip.

Comment

He might actually be good.

I've worked alongside contractors who knew what they were doing backwards and got canned or moved on, and I've taken over their work knowing SFA at the beginning.

Some clients both big and small don't care if you don't know it as long as you work hard fixing it for them and don't delay the project longer than it would take to get a replacement.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalUser View Post
                    What are you, five years old or something? Get a grip.
                    So you think it's OK to have some contractor working on a project who only has experience of reading a book on the subject?

How would you feel if you'd paid for a builder to extend your house, and then learnt that he'd never done it before - only read about it?
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X