• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Vmware training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Vmware training

Hi Guys,

Ok so not sure if this is the right section to post this, but well...
    I am looking to go for an online training vmware 5.1 - Any one in the forum done something like that? i mean online IT training. Any good? worth going for ? any suggestion. - (Want to go for VCP but dont wanna spend too much money)

Thanks guys ..

Your only option, of you want to do VCP 5.1 is a VMware official course, and they are not cheap. They do web based versions, but at the last count these were still scheduled 9-5 and still expensive. No third party course will allow you to be VCP. You can do the exam, but until you take their course you will not be certified.
    Check out late availability courses - they are the cheapest.

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
      Your only option, of you want to do VCP 5.1 is a VMware official course, and they are not cheap. They do web based versions, but at the last count these were still scheduled 9-5 and still expensive. No third party course will allow you to be VCP. You can do the exam, but until you take their course you will not be certified.
      Check out late availability courses - they are the cheapest.
      I did one when I was briefly permie - fast track, 4.1 I think, merely proved to me what a load of tosh Vmware ESX is.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I did one when I was briefly permie - fast track, 4.1 I think, merely proved to me what a load of tosh Vmware ESX is.
        so are you saying its a no go area? (for the online training?) ...

Btw, going for class room training is also a no go area for me because i will be losing money as a contractor. hmmmm would be really nice to be VCP Certified.. but well...

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
          so are you saying its a no go area? (for the online training?) ...

Btw, going for class room training is also a no go area for me because i will be losing money as a contractor. hmmmm would be really nice to be VCP Certified.. but well...
          No, just that I'm mainly Unix virtualisation, LPAR, LDOM, to me ESX is just cut down Linux with VM's on top.

Comment

OP - As it has been mentioned, you have to attend the VMware approved, instructor led course (there used to be CBT online courses in the days of ESX 3).

The courses are now 5 Days in a classroom / lab. If you can get 4-5 likeminded folk, there are training companies who will run a special course for you over the course of 2 weekends on their premises.

Personally, I have found the VCP to have been invaluable and have provided a great source of income over the past 6 years. I am not going to debate Stek's statement since it doesn't bear upon your original question.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              OP - As it has been mentioned, you have to attend the VMware approved, instructor led course (there used to be CBT online courses in the days of ESX 3).

The courses are now 5 Days in a classroom / lab. If you can get 4-5 likeminded folk, there are training companies who will run a special course for you over the course of 2 weekends on their premises.

Personally, I have found the VCP to have been invaluable and have provided a great source of income over the past 6 years. I am not going to debate Stek's statement since it doesn't bear upon your original question.
              Thanks for your comment, really helpful - So i would think you are already VCP right? If yes, are you on 5.1? i found an online course for £1k BUT still thinking if i will get back the value for my money after siting for it .. **Thinking thinking *** i dont want to cough out 1k and dont get it back.. (Do you get my drift?) ..

Comment

I have been VCP certified for the past 5 years (3/4/5). If you aren't using the product on a daily basis, doing the certification doesn't mean much, since it is a hands-on technology and you need to be familiar with using it. The certification will require in-depth knowledge of subject matter that you will never likely come across in casual use, also storage and networking that you need to be familiar with.

£1k for online training? Is it worth it - imho, no...I would also question the credibility of the course and whether it is accepted by VMware - go to vmware.com and look through their Education site and see whether they are accredited for VCP training.

A cheap intro would be to buy this book and read it - you will be questioned on all the sections in it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-VM.../dp/0470890800
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Online Vmware training

I echo what scruff said as well get hold of a couple of Sun X-series servers, or similar - 150 quid ea and play around..

Comment

Working...
                  X