• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Limited works in dispute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Limited works in dispute?

I am closing my old company. I wanted to transfer the mobile phone I have to personal account but it is still under contract. I don't see why it should be a problem as the provider is still going to get paid just on the different account.

But as you can imagine they are not going to make it easy and asking for reminder of months to be paid.. Hence I will be paying twice for number of months.

I don't really feel charitable today. I thought I'd close the account and let them recover money themselves...

I understand this will fall into the 'Limited liability' territory. Is it not? If I have 100 quid liability then whatever they can recover will be just that, 100 quid...

Is that right? (moral / ethics aside please).

Don't be a silly person

Just change the Debit Order details to your personal account and carry on?
    Last edited by Scruff; 2 May 2013, 09:29. Reason: Spelling Police...
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by maxima View Post
      I am closing my old company. I wanted to transfer the mobile phone I have to personal account but it is still under contract. I don't see why it should be a problem as the provider is still going to get paid just on the different account.

But as you can imagine they are not going to make it easy and asking for reminder of months to be paid.. Hence I will be paying twice for number of months.

I don't really feel charitable today. I thought I'd close the account and let them recover money themselves...

I understand this will fall into the 'Limited liability' territory. Is it not? If I have 100 quid liability then whatever they can recover will be just that, 100 quid...

Not quite. If you close a company knowing there are outstanding debts, then you as a director are personally liable for them... Ask Mr Upton.

And as we keep telling people, legally YourExCo and You are two totally different persons and will always be treated as such. The phone company have a contract with YourExCo and quite rightly want it to be honoured.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Not quite. If you close a company knowing there are outstanding debts, then you as a director are personally liable for them... Ask Mr Upton..
        If you want to have a chat with Mr Upton this might be useful to you..

Leeds prison visiting information
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maxima View Post

Yes, pretty much correct. You and your company are separate entities and your only liability to the company is value of the share capital issued to you (typically 1 share worth £1). There is little they can do and for the sake of a few hundred quid they will most likely just write off the debt. They may also put a bad mark on your personal credit history as the director of a company that didn't honour it's debts and get back at you that way though.

Give it a try then grab a copy of your credit report in a few months time and let us know how you got on.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

maxima: Whats the company? I recently changed my business account with T-Mobile into a personal account and it was no problem what so ever.. They took my name and bank details and continued invoicing as normal.

Comment

Working...
            X