• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another becoming a permie thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another becoming a permie thread

Have applied for three permie roles in the last month.

One offered me job but not enough money.
    One may or may not offer me the job but I won't take it.
    The third - I am waiting for a formal offer and if it arrives will take it.

Reason: I am stuck in an industry I am desperate to leave, or at least not still be in in five years. Permie job is different sector, industry and job function so there's no way I can step into it as a contractor. Also, public sector contracting is becoming a pain with some (but not all) clients.

The loss of tax advantages and flexibility to work part time when I can will be painful, but it is part home based / part office based (35 minutes from home). Certainly won't miss the commuting. Pay is 180 x my typical daily rate.

So if it comes off, I will sit on the CUK naughty step until I'm ready to rejoin the group.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Have applied for three permie roles in the last month.

One offered me job but not enough money.
    One may or may not offer me the job but I won't take it.
    The third - I am waiting for a formal offer and if it arrives will take it.

Reason: I am stuck in an industry I am desperate to leave, or at least not still be in in five years. Permie job is different sector, industry and job function so there's no way I can step into it as a contractor. Also, public sector contracting is becoming a pain with some (but not all) clients.

The loss of tax advantages and flexibility to work part time when I can will be painful, but it is part home based / part office based (35 minutes from home). Certainly won't miss the commuting. Pay is 180 x my typical daily rate.

So if it comes off, I will sit on the CUK naughty step until I'm ready to rejoin the group.
    I know how you feel! I'd be quite happy just working 26 weeks in any 52 ie 2 x 13 week contract, a straight 26 week contract or any other combination etc.

But you just know that despite all the talk of a flexible 'labour market,' clients and particularly agents label you as useless or something wrong with you because you arent permanently in contract and havent been somewhere for 1, 2, 3 or more years!

Last year, I was asked 'why was there a gap on your cv 3 years ago?'! They couldnt read the fact I'd been at a place for nearly 3.5 years without a break so decided to take some time out in Nov \ Dec \ Jan!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      I know how you feel! I'd be quite happy just working 26 weeks in any 52 ie 2 x 13 week contract, a straight 26 week contract or any other combination etc.

But you just know that despite all the talk of a flexible 'labour market,' clients and particularly agents label you as useless or something wrong with you because you arent permanently in contract and havent been somewhere for 1, 2, 3 or more years!

Last year, I was asked 'why was there a gap on your cv 3 years ago?'! They couldnt read the fact I'd been at a place for nearly 3.5 years without a break so decided to take some time out in Nov \ Dec \ Jan!
      At least I don't get that. I've started taking more part time roles. At the moment I am contracted to work 26 days over 3 months - lots of time for other things, and it covers household outgoings after tax. Alternatively, I sometimes run two part time contracts alongside each other, which is hard work but lucractive. As you say, flexibility is nice, and I'll miss it.

Comment

Working...
      X