• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which mouse/pointing device (carpel tunnel syndrome)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which mouse/pointing device (carpel tunnel syndrome)

Hey,

I've recently been experiencing a bit of mild CTS in my right wrist/fingers due to constant use of mouse.

Can anyone recommend anything instead of a mouse? Specific make/model of trackball or touchpad (like on a laptop)?

I've tried using my mouse with left hand but can't fully get used to it.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

I totally sympathise. I have had occasion where my right hand could not be used at all, even for typing.

I think there are a number of alternatives from a joystick to a funky looking mouse.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The Ergonomic Mouse

I would try using the left hand for a few weeks and usually that clears up the inflammation.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I've got a couple of trackballs - the Kensington Orbit is probably my favourite - it has a scroll ring which works without any additional drivers (handy on client machines).
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Get trackball and learn how to use 2 hands - Kensington Orbit Optical is very good, but the best one was sadly discontinued but can still be bought on ebay -

http://www.shareware-beach.com/photos/J1282752.jpg

Also get new keyboard - so-called "Natural" ones very good - again it will take you some time to get used to, but once you try it you won't go back - it's indeed natural.

The best one sadly also got discotinued to Microsoft, it was called - Microsoft Natural MultiMedia keyboard, you can still get new ones that are somewhat different - if you get used to them first then you should be ok.

Expect 3-4 weeks of getting used to new setup - it's priceless health wise though.

P.S. Did I tell you to learn how to use both hands with trackballs? Get two of them so that you could change - it's hard to get used to at first, but you'll thank me later!

Comment

I use a Logitech M570 trackball.
          Last edited by Scrag Meister; 13 May 2013, 07:27.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I can't remember the name but I had an employer buy me a fancy track-ball, the difference being the ball was about the size and weight of a snooker ball and simply sat in the cradle so you could take it out to clean.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have both a Kensington Orbit and an Evoluent vertical mouse and they're both fantastic, price wise the Orbit is a lot cheaper as I shelled out 80 quid for a left-handed Evoluent but it was worth the money.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                Hey,

I've recently been experiencing a bit of mild CTS in my right wrist/fingers due to constant use of mouse.

Can anyone recommend anything instead of a mouse? Specific make/model of trackball or touchpad (like on a laptop)?

I've tried using my mouse with left hand but can't fully get used to it.
                Not sure if these will help. They are a bit pricey but I got one for my son who complained about tendonitis and rpi. They do other stuff too.

Ergonomic Mouse Range | RSI Grip Mice | Posturite UK
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Not sure if these will help. They are a bit pricey but I got one for my son who complained about tendonitis and rpi. They do other stuff too.

Ergonomic Mouse Range | RSI Grip Mice | Posturite UK
                  I'm tempted to buy a penguin mouse lol it looks pretty nifty
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

I've used a USB touch-pad like this one (same make, no idea about the model)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cirque-Easy-.../dp/B000V5IFQA

which I find very good as, for some reason I can use it ambidextrously which I certainly can't with a normal mouse, and one client (legal so probably afraid I'd sue) provided a Wacom tablet and pen:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Intuos.../dp/B0006ZOY60

Perfect until some fecker half-inched it!

Comment

Working...
                    X