• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what do we do with these areas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do we do with these areas

Britain's benefits ghettos: Report reveals growing number of estates where half those of working age are dependent on handouts | Mail Online

One in every five British children now grows up in a workless household
    Government spends more than one in every three pounds on welfare
    Authors of Signed Off, Written Off study say figures are 'national disgrace'
    By OLIVIA WILLIAMS

PUBLISHED: 19:32, 19 May 2013 | UPDATED: 08:08, 20 May 2013

Comments (576)

Britain is rife with welfare ghettos where more than half the working age population is dependent on unemployment benefits, a think-tank claims.

As many as 6.8million people and 1.8million children have been trapped into long-term poverty, the Centre for Social Justice says in a report.

It would mean nearly one in five children are growing up in a workless household – the second highest in Europe after Macedonia where it is nearly one in four.
    How do we fix it?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Napalm.

Comment

Nuke or cede to Scotland
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Mass hypnosis?
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Nuke or cede to Scotland
          I think we could clean up our unemployment quite dramatically by letting Wales, NI and Scotland fend for themselves...

Comment

My first thought would be enforced sterilisation. But thats not going to fly because I am sure it will trip up some nasty rule or another that leaves them free to **** and fornicate all day in the name of rights.

Jamie Oliver had the right idea with getting 1-2-1 with people teaching them a life skill then getting them the do the same for 10 of their friends. We just need to find the right skills and then the right teachers for the job. It has to come up from inside the ghettos not imposed down on them by the usual class of social change pioneers...

Comment

People going in and making relationships and helping is probably better than any political generalised solution, but it requires a lot of people and is a hard job.

Breaking up the 'ghettos' and spreading people out might work but then you find you've got one moved next door to you and suddenly it doesn't seem a good idea
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Export them all to Eastern Europe
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  I think we could clean up our unemployment quite dramatically by letting Wales, NI and Scotland fend for themselves...
                  Scotland doesn't feature in the summary.

Wales does but its Rhyl which isn't that massive.

One of the charities, Chance UK, said that some children do not understand what work is. Asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, the children only answered 'I want to be famous' or that they wanted to be the 'boss' of a gang.

However, the think tank said there was a greater social rather than financial imperative for reforming welfare: 'By focusing on income transfers rather than employment, our welfare system has made people dependent on benefits, trapping them in poverty and preventing them from achieving economic independence.'

The CSJ, founded by Iain Duncan Smith, before he became Work & Pensions Secretary, is working on a follow-up report, in which it will set out recommendations for the second phase of the 'welfare revolution'.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Saw on advert for The Purge last night.

Not a bad idea, probably a crap film though

Comment

Working...
                    X