• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Chest.

Hi,

Without giving away amounts, how many months worth of money would you say is a good war chest?

I've currently banked on 3 months worth of bills, food, etc etc and added a small contingency, but is this enough? any help from the seasoned vets would be great.

Thanks

Originally posted by bobsa View Post
    Hi,

Without giving away amounts, how many months worth of money would you say is a good war chest?

I've currently banked on 3 months worth of bills, food, etc etc and added a small contingency, but is this enough? any help from the seasoned vets would be great.

Thanks
    It depends on you skillset, and how the market is for your skills. I would say 6 months minimum a year better.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
      Only you can work out what your daily/monthly expenditure is, eg - some people can easily survive on £1K a month, some would need much more than that.

Do a search, loads of threads on this.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

How long is a piece of string?

How confident are you that you can find a new role in that time? If you think that you can always find work, then you don't need a war chest at all; if you don't then you need to realistically work out how long you think you will be out of work.

Three months seems low to me, but you may have skills which pretty much guarantee work. I normally aim to have three months a year off anyway, so with only a three month cushion that doesn't leave much to play with.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

War Chest.

How Long is a Chinaman...

Comment

For me I'd say 6 months as it's nice to have some breathing space and if I want to take some time off and chill, like other posters have said it will vary depending on your skill set and personal circumstances.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
              It depends on you skillset, and how the market is for your skills. I would say 6 months minimum a year better.
              This^

And I'd err on the side of a year.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

12 months idealy, if you have not found any work in your chosen skillset in six months then you still have six months to retrain or get a job on the bin's

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Do a search, loads of threads on this.
                  That isn't very helpful is it....

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I always think in terms of months also. Currently up to about 12 months.... But then I have a part-time contract on the go as well which helps a little (only £500/month mind).

The more the better if you ask me. I'd like to have about 2 years because then it wouldnt bother me to be without contract for a few months.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X