• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to start applying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to start applying?

Ok, so my contract ends on August 12th, almost 2 months away. Part of me wants to start applying now, but I'm sure agents will push back. I've had very mixed reaction times when applying for contracting jobs before, anything from starting in 5 days, to still interviewing 2 months later, hence my doubt.

My gut tells me to wait until 1 month before, but what would you do? When do you start putting yourself about again...?

1st post...be kind!
    The idiots are winning

No harm in looking, but don't be surprised if you're ignored. You could just tell the recuiters you're available in 4 weeks. By the time the client gets around to interview/offer you'll likely be inside 4 weeks left.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I tend to find agents are only interested from about a month onwards. I lost a contract last year to someone who was immediately available, but when I was free (3 weeks later) I asked the agency to speak to the client - and they had another project on the go, which got me 5 months work.

Comment

One month to start looking and getting a feel but don't bother applying until around two weeks personally. The number of gigs that would wait a month were negligible and even if I secured one knowing me it would fold before I got there so just don't bother. Actually start applying around he 2 weeks point myself.

Saying that I am not overly fussed about getting straight in to another gig. If its mid year I take the opportunity to go on hols or the stuff I couldn't do in gig so am not in a rush to get the next one.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

About two weeks before the contract end, I update my availability on LinkedIn.

If I'm really looking for something, then I ping an updated CV over to some agents that I know reasonably well.

Wait for the contract to end, and then look for something else.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Start looking 1 month out, as Faqqer said update availability in Linked-In, ping cv's to "trusted" agents (Those I have worked with before).

Some evening Jobserve, CW, TechnoJobs surfing etc...
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 12 June 2013, 08:00.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I start looking a month before to see what's around and start applying 2 weeks before....

Comment

thanks

Fairly consistent responses there. Many thanks for your help
                The idiots are winning

Comment

Working...
                X