• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eindhoven

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eindhoven

To all our resident Cloggies whats it like for getting to/from/staying in?

I don't want to do the NL thing particularly just a possible if nowt comes up - I am aware of the tax situation and I accept that, but if Eindhoven is well dodgy or boring or too hard to commute to I'll bin it.

For me on the face of it it's Fly from MAN or LBA to AMS (haven't checked flight costs/timetable yet) and train to Eindhoven? Or is DUS better? Or Eurostar to Brussels then ask?

Researching now with a pint in pub and while I might not be cut out to be a contractor I am cut out to be a pisshead before NLUK starts!

Has NLUK started yet?

Seems LBA-AMS-Train is do-able - £86 return plane, 19 Euro train one way - not done timings yet...

My current weekly Leeds-Dublin door-to-door is about 4hrs 45 mins - reckon this might be nearer 6hrs.

Why do I do it?

Comment

The train from Schipol to Eindhoven is OK, fork out for a first class ticket its not that much more.

I stayed at the park plaza in Eindhoven but that was pre-recession on a fully expensed contract.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Why do I do it?
        Bit more of the black stuff will make it look more attractive.. or does that only work on the ladies?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't want to do the NL thing particularly just a possible if nowt comes up - I am aware of the tax situation and I accept that, but if Eindhoven is well dodgy or boring or too hard to commute to I'll bin it.

For me on the face of it it's Fly from MAN or LBA to AMS (haven't checked flight costs/timetable yet) and train to Eindhoven? Or is DUS better? Or Eurostar to Brussels then ask?

Researching now with a pint in pub and while I might not be cut out to be a contractor I am cut out to be a pisshead before NLUK starts!
          It's fine; I'm near Eindhoven, but I stay in a village outside town. Not a bad place at all, more relaxed than the stiffies in the north or the bigmouthed gobtulipes in Amsterdam, and a brilliant area for techies; it's the only part of the country where the economy's doing well, largely because it's got lots of high tech companies.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You can fly to Eindhoven from Stansted.

Don't use the Eurostar; it's brilliant until Brussels and then a bleeding nightmare to get to anywhere other than Amsterdam as the Dutch and Belgian railways joined forces for a giant clusterf**k called 'Fyra', which was a high speed train that ran intermittently for 3 weeks in January and was scrapped two weeks ago because it fell to bits when they tried to drive through snow at 250kmh. Of course, they blamed the Italian manufacturer for that and are now saying Italians are tulipe at building trains, even though they built most of Europe's hig speed trains and everyone else is quite happy with their Pendolinos, Frecciarossas and so on. Of course, the cloggies, being a bunch of smartarses, didn't want some train that already existed and insisted on getting a new train developed to go 250kmh, even though there were plenty of others that could to that. Basically they went for the plenty cheapness option. Fine example of why politicians and civil servants shouldn't be given money to spend.

Best idea is probably to get a car on a short lease; I can have a look for some shortlease firms in NL if you like.

Comment

As MTT says best bet is to fly to Eindhoven rather than faffing with trains.

If you need to be put in touch with a good accountant that Understands contracting with a UK limited and what needs to be done before you come over PM me I can give you their details.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I haven't been to Eindhoven for a good 4 years but last time I was there I found it quite boring, probably because my previous experience was in Amsterdam. Quite a lot of petty crime too. I suggest that you find accommodation in Germany (or in Belgium south of Tilburg) and commute.
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  I haven't been to Eindhoven for a good 4 years but last time I was there I found it quite boring, probably because my previous experience was in Amsterdam. Quite a lot of petty crime too. I suggest that you find accommodation in Germany (or in Belgium south of Tilburg) and commute.
                  Or in one of the small towns around Eindhoven; Nuenen, Sint Oedenrode for example. Crime's not that bad here but we have our populist politicians and newspapers for those with subnormal IQs who do their best to scare people. Really, it's alright. Yep, Eindhoven itself is a bit dull but the surrounding area's fine. Den Bosch is a very nice place with good restaurants and bars if that's what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    As MTT says best bet is to fly to Eindhoven rather than faffing with trains.
                    Better to be at the mercy of the Dutch trains than Network Rail! And getting to Stansted from Leeds by train will be a complete arse and expensive compared to Schiphol to Eindhoven
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X