• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from Umbrella to LTD @ contract renewal > Any advice or tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Umbrella to LTD @ contract renewal > Any advice or tips

Hi there.

I am currently employing the services of a certain Umbrella company, which has been for the case for over two years, on the same employer/contract,bwhich has had numerous renewals.

My contract is up for renewal in July this year and I am thinking about using this opportunity to move over to becoming a ltd company.

Can anybody offer any advice as to whether there is anything I need to be aware of in this particular circumstance, or does it not really matter that I have been with this same employer under an Umbrella company and then LTD?

Would appreciate your advices.

Many thanks

The first thing you should consider is your IR35 status; if you are inside IR35 you will be liable for income tax, employee's and employer's NI on your earnings, it is only if you are outside that you can draw dividends from your Ltd Company.

You should research exactly what your liabilities and responsibilities will be as the Director of a Limited Company and make sure that you are prepared to take these on. You should also appoint an accountant who has experience of dealing with contractors.

Oh and 24 month rule sounds like it will apply as well
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am weighing up those options you mentioned and looking to engage with an accountant

With regards to IR35, would I be more liable to hit this becuase I am still on the same contract, albeit previously it would have been via an umbrella company, rather than my own ltd company. Wonder whether that would be a red flag to the HMRC (though not sure how).

Also, the 24 month rule, are you referring to the fact that there are certain expenses that you cannot claim?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...rella-ltd.html

Read the newbie guides and learn how to search....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by miniweld View Post
          Thanks for the reply. I am weighing up those options you mentioned and looking to engage with an accountant

With regards to IR35, would I be more liable to hit this becuase I am still on the same contract, albeit previously it would have been via an umbrella company, rather than my own ltd company. Wonder whether that would be a red flag to the HMRC (though not sure how).

Also, the 24 month rule, are you referring to the fact that there are certain expenses that you cannot claim?

Thanks in advance.
          No offence but I think you should maybe spend a little bit more time researching your obligations as the Director of a Ltd Co before making the jump?

It would be irrelevant in terms of IR35 whether you were moving from brolly to Ltd on the same contract - the 3 main IR35 considerations are supervision, direction and control, mutuality of obligation and right of substitution - are you told what to do, are you obliged to accept work or is the agency obliged to offer it and could you send someone in to work in your place?

The 24 month rule - if you travel to the same location for a period of 24 months or longer you will not be able to claim travel, subsistence and accomodation expenses from the point that you know the contract will extend beyond that period.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks again for your reply.
            I am still thinking about whether to go down this route, hence my questions and also checking out the numerous guides on the site.
            I am Intrigued by your comment about checking out my obligations as a company director. At a high level, could you elaborate on that, just so that I am not missing anything??

Many thanks

Comment

I am Intrigued by your comment about checking out my obligations as a company director. At a high level, could you elaborate on that, just so that I am not missing anything??
              I think you'll find everything you need here.

HTHBIDI
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WTFS

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Thanks for that.
                    Try this: https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited...sponsibilities

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X