• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre-contract expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-contract expenses

Done a couple of searches but I'm probably using the wrong terms.

Had an interview a while back for a post that was a bit last minute. It's a long way from where I live.
    So I took a holiday, booked a cheap room and drove down for a 30 minute interview.

Now I'm being asked to go back down for an additional test.
    Am I being naive by asking the agency if there is any room for recompense for the travel?
    I've already accepted that it's another of my holidays wasted (I'm currently a permie)

Yeah don't ask, they'll just laugh and doubt you're really cut out to be a contractor.....

Comment

Don't ask, don't get.

Ask, but you almost certainly won't get anyway.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Being a contractor means you will be a business selling your services. There is going to be a bit of a cost/effort incurred in landing a sale as there is for any business. You want the gig you are going to have to swallow the costs. No molly coddling and cotton wool in contractor land I am afraid.

If it is a close run thing between two possible candidates and one is moaning about expenses and the other isn't who do you think will get the gig?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Being a contractor means you will be a business selling your services. There is going to be a bit of a cost/effort incurred in landing a sale as there is for any business. You want the gig you are going to have to swallow the costs. No molly coddling and cotton wool in contractor land I am afraid.
          Agreed. Put it down as pre-sales.

I mean, if I go and test drive a new BMW, they aren't going to charge me for petrol are they!
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I don't think it's quite comparable in these circumstances but I understand what you're saying

Comment

Originally posted by zappakat View Post
              I don't think it's quite comparable in these circumstances but I understand what you're saying
              Anyway, insist on a phone interview - would you sit down in front of a succession of plumbers and ask them questions. Mind you, if you did they'd charge you for it.

I've changed my mind, we should charge for interview time! That would kill off the Bobs if ClientCo had to pay £1500 for a return flight from Mumbailumbawumba or whatever it's called now...

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Agreed. Put it down as pre-sales.

I mean, if I go and test drive a new BMW, they aren't going to charge me for petrol are they!
                Unless you are with a brolly in which case you can only claim costs incurred in the performance of the duties of the employment. You have on income from which to offset the expense. LTD's can as it comes under 'for the purposes of the trade'.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Anyway, insist on a phone interview - would you sit down in front of a succession of plumbers and ask them questions. Mind you, if you did they'd charge you for it.

I've changed my mind, we should charge for interview time! That would kill off the Bobs if ClientCo had to pay £1500 for a return flight from Mumbailumbawumba or whatever it's called now...
                  Nice idea.

I had a (prospective) client offer to pay travel expenses once during the initial telephone interview. I took that as a sign that they weren't really serious. After a 180-mile round trip (and a day wasted) for a face to face meeting, was proven correct.

To the OP, you could have asked for a telephone interview in the first instance. Contracts are often won on the strength of a telephone interview alone. Given where you are now I would be asking them what is it they are so unsure about that they need to see you twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    I had a (prospective) client offer to pay travel expenses once during the initial telephone interview. I took that as a sign that they weren't really serious. After a 180-mile round trip (and a day wasted) for a face to face meeting, was proven correct.
                    If they are willing to pay your travel expenses then they are either (a) really, really keen to see you because they want you; or (b) really, really keen to see you because they want a day of free consultancy.

More often than not, I'd suggest it's the latter.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X