• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

overseas landlords and VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overseas landlords and VAT

Why should an EU VAT registered entity not resident in the UK pay VAT on services delivered in the Uk?

The thing is I have services and products supplied to me from the UK to Germany, that are VAT exempt. The only time this does not apply is with the agents who manage my let property back in the UK.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Why should an EU VAT registered entity not resident in the UK pay VAT on services delivered in the Uk?

The thing is I have services and products supplied to me from the UK to Germany, that are VAT exempt. The only time this does not apply is with the agents who manage my let property back in the UK.
    Hi Scooterscot,

It shouldn't! If the supply is for services, then it is the place where the customer belongs that is relevant for VAT purposes. The place of supply would therefore be the location of the EU business and so the supply would be outside the scope of UK VAT - though the EU business may have to account for this on their VAT return using the reverse charge mechanism.

You mention that you are supplied with services and products - note that the two are very different for VAT purposes.

I hope this helps - If I have misunderstood your question please let me know.

Martin

Comment

Thanks Martin.

The services are provided to me personally and for this reason I'm told VAT shall be charged. Nonetheless other services or products I purchase from the UK my VAT is returned.

I don't understand what separates the two, and neither does HMRC when I called them on phone.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Thanks Martin.

The services are provided to me personally and for this reason I'm told VAT shall be charged. Nonetheless other services or products I purchase from the UK my VAT is returned.

I don't understand what separates the two, and neither does HMRC when I called them on phone.
        I'm sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your initial query.

So the services are provided by an EU member state to you personally (not your business), and you are in the UK? Is it UK VAT that is being charged or that of the member state?

I'm afraid there is very little chance of getting through to anybody at HMRC who is knowledgeable enough to deal with this type of query!

Martin

Comment

Working...
        X