• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help the noob PC question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help the noob PC question

Ok noob questions for you, I am currently upgrading my PC, which is predominantly used for gaming, mostly MMORPG’s & I want a good frame rate.

I have just got an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 MoBo, Intel i7 3.5LGA 1150 chip, 4MB of DDR3 ram, & SSD hard drives.

As the only sounds I listen to via the PC is game noise & the odd YouTube video, do I need to bother with a sound card or will on board sound do me?

Graphics card: is it better to have 2 mediocre cards run in crossfire or 1 stonking good one?

Thank you for any helpful comments.
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

I found this

Z87 ... motherboards will include Asus’ SupremeFX audio that claims to rival discrete soundcards in “power and clarity”

So the answer is no, given your requirements

EDIT: I assume you mean 4GB RAM, in which case, personally, I'd go for more, 8GB is the minimum I'd consider these days, the extra cost should be small (certainly less than £50)

Comment

I have a similar setup and I just use onboard with a pair of these plugged into the 3.5mm jack, they aren't cheap but they are awesome for their size. You only need a card if you want some sort of surround system.

Audioengine 2 - Audioengineusa.com
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Is this the company PC just used for invoices and expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Is this the company PC just used for invoices and expenses?
          LOL, personal use – I am a dodgy permie you know
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

I'd always prefer a single graphics card to a dual setup unless you're going for 2 high-end cards. It's just another thing to go wrong so unless you need bleeding edge performance (and the rest of the PC needs to be up to scratch) it's not really worth it.

Comment

Yeah, single GPU is fine, doesn't even need to be a stonker for good performance really.

4Gb is not enough though. Not for games.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you want to spend the money go for one expensive card, as you'll get less stability problems and less heat issues

Most of us though make do with two cards via XFire or SLI

The other consideration is do you do video editing or heavy photoshop use as the graphics memory and GPU can make a difference there as well, also get at least 2 gb for the card as a lot of games need it if you want to max out their settings
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Can't you just play Runescape and pocket the cash?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Can't you just play Candy Crush and pocket the cash?
                    FTFY
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X