• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you look busy when you're not???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you look busy when you're not???

Ideas?

cut and paste web pages into notepad. or print them out.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
      Ideas?
      when writing a long forum post, first write it in an outlook email, then copy and paste it into the webpage

If you are in a technical position then read up on something technical which interests you

Get a decent game on your phone, find an out of the way set of toilets and amuse your self (just make sure that the toilet lights don't automatically turn off after a set period of time)

Have very late lunches. The afternoon is always the worst when you're not being kept busy so go out for lunch late (about 2ish) and take the full break out of the office. By the time you get back there will be only a couple of hours left.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        find an out of the way set of toilets and amuse your self

Comment

Having a good walk is imperative to looking busy. When I look at some of the permie sloaths, walking aimlessly around the office at a snails pace I think those guys can't be busy. But when I stride over to the drinks machine, grab my two cups of water and march back to my desk it definitely gives the impression- that guy is on it!
          Please note running in the office is a big no no in my opinion. Gives of the impression of being out of control, panicking, and generally being out of ones depth.
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Carry something important looking around with you and walk like you have purpose.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
              Ideas?
              Today I'm using the working from home technique...

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                Having a good walk is imperative to looking busy. When I look at some of the permie sloaths, walking aimlessly around the office at a snails pace I think those guys can't be busy. But when I stride over to the drinks machine, grab my two cups of water and march back to my desk it definitely gives the impression- that guy is on it!
                Please note running in the office is a big no no in my opinion. Gives of the impression of being out of control, panicking, and generally being out of ones depth.
                I read an expanded version of this ages ago. There were loads of good tips, always carry some papers or a notepad when you're walking around, makes it look like you're on the way to, or from, a meeting. Don't carry a newspaper, it makes it look like you're on the way to the toilet. I'll try and dig out the email.

Edit: found it. It's actually the Ricky Gervais (I think they mean David Brent, but never mind) guide to working.

Linky
                Last edited by Bunk; 19 July 2013, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

(just make sure that the toilet lights don't automatically turn off after a set period of time)
                  Happened to me yesterday, VERY irritating mid-dump.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
                    Happened to me yesterday, VERY irritating mid-dump.
                    Did it scare the tulip out of you?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X