• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

So I sold some used bespoke hardware to a guy who now calls me claiming it doesn't work as expected, accusing me of misselling and reminding me that he knows where I live. The rig worked for me when I had it and it is easy to break through mishandling.

The sale was face-to-face, luckily not in my garden, but very nearby to be able to power the thing up and do a demo. So he knows roughly where I live.

Don't really fancy being dragged into a litigation of a sort. What are his legal comebacks and what can I do to protect myself. This is a private transaction and I am not a business seller of a sort.
    Last edited by p3t3; 27 July 2013, 10:27.

Originally posted by p3t3 View Post
    So I sold some used bespoke hardware to a guy who now calls me claiming it doesn't work as expected and reminding me that he knows where I live. The equipment worked for me when I had it and it is not difficult to break through mishandling.

The sale was face-to-face, luckily not in my garden, but very nearby to be able to power the thing up and do a demo. So he knows roughly where I live.

Don't really fancy being dragged into a litigation of a sort. What are his legal comebacks and what can I do to protect myself. This is a private transaction and I am not a business seller of a sort.
    Personally I'd phone the police. Threatening behaviour is not in your scope to deal with. And if you aren't a professional dealing with the product as a living, you aren't qualified to guarantee it; all private transactions are essentially sold as seen.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Caveat Emptor, and all that.

If it'd been a business sale it might be different.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Assuming the recording element is legal, phone him up, recording the call. Tell him that as far as you are concerned the matter is closed. Wait to see if he sues and involve the police if necessary.

Comment

You could go around and see what happened to the hardware. If it really stopped working just after he got it you could arrange a discount or take it back and resell.

I would be tempted just to take it back and resell.

Is it really worth a big conflict. I think it´s worth a few quid to get it sorted.

You´ll only find all your tyres slashed if he isn´t happy.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Assuming the recording element is legal, phone him up, recording the call. Tell him that as far as you are concerned the matter is closed. Wait to see if he sues and involve the police if necessary.
            Is recording calls indeed legal or is it just a guess?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              You could go around and see what happened to the hardware. If it really stopped working just after he got it you could arrange a discount or take it back and resell.

I would be tempted just to take it back and resell.

Is it really worth a big conflict. I think it´s worth a few quid to get it sorted.

You´ll only find all your tyres slashed if he isn´t happy.
              There you go, opinions have divided. One suggestion is stick to your guns as you've done nowt wrong, another cave in and avoid conflict.

In principle I really don't see why it should be my concern fixing something that has worked for me and might have been broken through misuse. On the other hand I never thought it would turn into such a headache.

Should we vote?

Comment

If you demonstrated it working, then you've done more than enough.

The question was where he stood legally. If you feel some moral obligation, then that's between you and your God.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by p3t3 View Post
                  Is recording calls indeed legal or is it just a guess?
                  How many times have you called a utility or insurance company to be met with "This call may be recorded for training or legal purposes"??

Of course it is legal but I believe that you are required to notify the other party first.

Whether any of the call is admissible in a court of law is another matter entirely. Even if it is not, there is no reason not to provide any recording to the police to back up any allegation of threat so that they can investigate further.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    How many times have you called a utility or insurance company to be met with "This call may be recorded for training or legal purposes"??

Of course it is legal but I believe that you are required to notify the other party first.

Whether any of the call is admissible in a court of law is another matter entirely. Even if it is not, there is no reason not to provide any recording to the police to back up any allegation of threat so that they can investigate further.
                    I find that after a few weeks any comment regarding my copious notes (i.e. personal recording of meeting attached to my ipad note taking app) is met with a look of resignation from the person trying to change history.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X