• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steamy not steamy enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamy not steamy enough

Just had a repair on the steam shower cabin & the issue was lime scale, under warranty so no cost this time but when out of warranty could be a regular £200 bill, hence looking into options now.

So do any of you lot use a water softener / lime-scale inhibitor (for the whole house) system, if so what type & is it any good?
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Just had a repair on the steam shower cabin & the issue was lime scale, under warranty so no cost this time but when out of warranty could be a regular £200 bill, hence looking into options now.

So do any of you lot use a water softener / lime-scale inhibitor (for the whole house) system, if so what type & is it any good?
    Is there no way to systematically descale it, like with a coffee bean roaster (might be a stupid question, but I genuinely do not know how these are serviced).

Comment

This thread is very disappointing.

Comment

I think most of the options involve some sort of magnetic descaler of the pipes as it comes into the house, not really sure how it works
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          You're not alone there, I don't think anyone does.

But, allegedly, they do have some effect.
          Seems to work on my mates leccy meter too.

Comment

I have a water softener and a whole house water filter.

My water softener was £32 from eBay (normally good second hand on eBay ~ £200 they don't tend to wear out) plus about £50 in plumbing bits and the filter was £20 + £5 in bits.

most common head (valves + Control) seem to be autorol and they seem to last forever. mine is 20 years old, my previous was 34 years old but the flask seal split. I have a timed one, seems to be fine.

They change the feeling of the water and you use less soap. Important thing is it reduces scale dramatically so less cleaning!!!! NO more slightly grey looking shower glass, seems to keep in shower mould down a bit. Filter does change the water taste (you shouldn't soften drinking water so I filter it).

salt about £8-15 monthly, look for independents or wait for Homebase 15% off.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Water - yueegghh!

When you think of all the gunge that's in that stuff, it's no wonder that I stick to the purity of fozzies

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
              X