• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FRS and invoicing client in India for services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRS and invoicing client in India for services

Hi as stated above its not so clear on HMRC website as it keeps mentioning "goods" but I am now working on a project for a client in India which involves software development and testing.
    My invoices have no VAT charge (although the client charges Service Tax)
    Where do I put this value of (non-EU) Sales in the FRS boxes? or do I just exclude them?

Thanks
    Akbar

Just leave them off entirely, they are outside the scope.

Point 6.3 on the FRS booklet at HMRC: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P261_24718

6.3 What income do I exclude from my flat rate turnover?
    You exclude from your flat rate turnover:

private income, for example income from shares
    bank interest
    the proceeds from the sale of goods you own but which have not been used in your business
    any sales of gold that are covered by the VAT Act, Section 55 - see Notice 701/21 Gold
    non-business income and any supplies outside the scope of UK VAT, and
    sales of capital expenditure goods on which you have claimed input tax.

And then here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...s/services.htm

If the place of supply of your service is not in the EU, then your supply of services is outside the scope of VAT. You don't have to charge EU VAT or include the sale on your VAT Return.
    Last edited by Clare@InTouch; 31 July 2013, 15:09.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      You don't have to charge EU VAT or include the sale on your VAT Return.
      Hi Clare,

I disagree, the sale should be recorded in box 6 of the return. See section 3.7 of the link below:

HM Revenue & Customs

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
        Hi Clare,

I disagree, the sale should be recorded in box 6 of the return. See section 3.7 of the link below:

HM Revenue & Customs

Martin
        This is what my accountant has said to add the invoice sales to box 6 but I can see the point of leaving it out - I mean we must have a definitive answers to this right?

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          Just leave them off entirely, they are outside the scope.
          I disagree, the sale should be recorded in box 6 of the return. See section 3.7 of the link
          LOL - Accountant Wars

Seriously, though, just goes to show that Hector's rules can be open to different interpretation!
          latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Hi Clare,

HM Revenue & Customs

Martin
            The link applies to the normal scheme, not the flat rate scheme, but I agree - I was skimming the original question and just thinking of the top part of the return. Teach me to post and drink tea at the same time!
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
            X