• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has client ever been so bad at paying, the agent has told you to down tools?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has client ever been so bad at paying, the agent has told you to down tools?

This isn't a situation I'm in or anything, but I'm curious if this ever happens.

I've had late paying agents and clients and threatened to stop working for them, but I wondered if anyone out there had a client who was so slow at paying, even the agent told them to not go in? I also wonder if in that case, you could ignore the agent, keep turning up and keep billing?

Your contract is with the agency. If they tell you not to work, and you choose otherwise, why would they bother to pay you for work you are doing for free?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I had a direct client once whose credit department decided not to pay me once.

I downed tools and within 4 days the head of the division had signed a cheque and sent it to me.

The department then did it again 2 months later so again I downed tools. Again I got a cheque.

Eventually their credit department got the idea they had to pay me on time through BACs, and their excuses for late payment weren't working.

The credit department was a separate subsidiary in a different part of the country.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes. Current client. I didn't come in one day when I was direct, got paid immediately, then again when going through agency, again, one day did the trick

Comment

When I worked for one of the biggest hedge funds in the world, my contractor colleague was not being paid. I tried to get him to issue a winding up petition and send it to the FT - but he decided to just resign. All was sorted with 24 hours, even though the head of HR threatened to staple a smile to his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
            I wondered if anyone out there had a client who was so slow at paying, even the agent told them to not go in?
            Can someone explain how any of the examples provided in this thread come close to answering the question??

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I had a direct client once whose credit department decided not to pay me once.
            Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            Yes. Current client. I didn't come in one day when I was direct, got paid immediately, then again when going through agency, again, one day did the trick
            Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            When I worked for one of the biggest hedge funds in the world, my contractor colleague was not being paid. I tried to get him to issue a winding up petition and send it to the FT - but he decided to just resign. All was sorted with 24 hours, even though the head of HR threatened to staple a smile to his face.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X