• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Troubleshooting...a mug's game?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting...a mug's game?

Anyone been brought in to do a project/programme this is essentially fooked? Just accepted a contract two other interviewees didn't want, which sounds interesting to me.
    This is my second contracting gig I've accepted in a similar situation, fixing a mess from a previous PM or incompetent supplier. Either I'm carving out a niche (unlikely), or I'm an idiot (highly likely).

The interview was one of the best I've had...
    "Everything is screwed, nobody else wants this job...are you interested?"
    I had a few other things lined up, but this one sounded the most appealing. Start Monday
    The idiots are winning

How did the first contract end up?

At least you cannot make anything worse. Sounds like a win-win. Keep calm and carry on invoicing.

Was suity involved in either of the failed projects? (sorry suity......)

Comment

I agreed to stay on at a client last year to implement a hospital departmental system.

Planned as a 4 month start to cut over project.
      2 years on, 4 months to go live.
      No plan
      Do design or build documentation
      No test plan or resources
      No training plan or resources
      No data migration plan or schema

When I took it on, it soon became clear that it was clinically dangerous as well.

Got it live in 5 months without killing anyone or causing operational meltdown. Had to do all the testing and design documentation myself...

Lots of fun because not my normal line of work (I'm not really an IT person).
      Last edited by Old Greg; 7 August 2013, 10:16.

Comment

1st gig

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        How did the first contract end up?

At least you cannot make anything worse. Sounds like a win-win. Keep calm and carry on invoicing.

Was suity involved in either of the failed projects? (sorry suity......)
        was offered a 1 year extension by BobCo which I declined

good advice
        The idiots are winning

Comment

One gig I did, at the interview I was told "we went live a month ago, and there are massive issues. We inadvertently over-invoiced to the tune of about 35 million Euros on one invoice, and they have a direct debit with us. There are about 30 other issues, you've got four weeks - there won't be an extension, there won't be any more work, but can you come in and fix the issues and then leave?" Brilliant work.

Another interview began "OK, I'll tell you everything wrong with our system, and then you can let me know whether you'd be interested in coming in and fixing the f***ing thing for us?" Only questions in the interview were "when can you start?" and "have you got any holiday booked?" That one lasted 16 months.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's a pretty common thing and I would say part and parcel of contracting. Certainly sorts the men from the boys and if you can pull it off and demonstrate this to future clients it could be a real earner for you.

Everyone can PM a project (ok a generalisation) but not many can roll their sleeves up and save one, or take the stick in one that is never going to succeed.

I have had a couple of gigs like this. One in particular ended up being an utter nightmare and there was no chance of pulling bit back so was just used as a scapegoat for the entire 8 month gig. Very uncomfortable time but as long as you can let it go at night it is just another gig. Endless angry exchanges with stakeholders and team. Oddly enough my main protagonist took me for a drink on the last day and couldn't praise me enough for putting up with it and doing a bloody good job. A year later he calls me out of the blue from a new company he is working for and offers a nice little cushy 6 monther to which I could dictate my terms.

If the project is so bad they can't get permies to fill the post who else are they going to turn to?

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
              It's a pretty common thing and I would say part and parcel of contracting. Certainly sorts the men from the boys and if you can pull it off and demonstrate this to future clients it could be a real earner for you.

Everyone can PM a project (ok a generalisation) but not many can roll their sleeves up and save one, or take the stick in one that is never going to succeed.

I have had a couple of gigs like this. One in particular ended up being an utter nightmare and there was no chance of pulling bit back so was just used as a scapegoat for the entire 8 month gig. Very uncomfortable time but as long as you can let it go at night it is just another gig. Endless angry exchanges with stakeholders and team. Oddly enough my main protagonist took me for a drink on the last day and couldn't praise me enough for putting up with it and doing a bloody good job. A year later he calls me out of the blue from a new company he is working for and offers a nice little cushy 6 monther to which I could dictate my terms.

If the project is so bad they can't get permies to fill the post who else are they going to turn to?
              I found I couldn't lose. This was their last throw of the dice before they canned the project and expectations were low.

They think I'm a genius now, and the truth is I just made it my business to get my hands dirty and understand what needed doing and then do it.

I had never had any involvement with a data migration before but it didn't take me long to work out:

- we need to know what is being migrated and to where.
              - you've forgotten to migrate allergies.
              - that is probably a bad thing.
              - you now need to demonstrate that you are migrating everything you said you would.
              - you need to do some practice runs because you're chaotic.
              - you need to do more practice runs with a proper report.
              - you need to carry on until you get it right.
              - it may not be the best idea to do the data migration over the weekend on a single laptop locked in an empty hospital office, even if that is how you always do it.

So much of it just needs some common sense and the ability to ask some pertinent questions.

Comment

Most projects I have worked on have been a cluster f**k from beginning to end, but hey that's why we get hired!

The NHS was what I expected, loads of mess, internal politics and a general bad feeling, but I fixed a number of things, documented them, then got another gig.

Client I am at now (a very well known online co) am totally shocked at the amateurishness of how they have done things, truly jaw-dropping.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

"So here's the deal. We're a major system integrator, running the service desk and desktop support operation for a major HMG department, a contract worth £17.5m over five years. We're about to lose it , mainly for poor performance. The current manager is leaving but has worked with you before and thinks you are pretty good. We need you either to win the contract - which frankly we are certain is a lost cause - or oversee the transition to whoever does win it. If by some miracle you do win it, we'll replace you with a permie immediately. And you have three months at the most. Fancy it?"

Took it on. Won the contract renewal. Was terminated within the week. Never heard from them again. Heigh ho...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Took it on. Won the contract renewal. Was terminated within the week. Never heard from them again. Heigh ho...
                    Did you invoice them for your notice period, though?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X