• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest background check request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest background check request

After jumping through many background check related hoops, we have one final request from the client’s agent in relation to a recent gap in contracts;

“Please provide a personal referee for this time stating that you weren't doing anything unlawful.”

Oh, come on. Really? How can anyone know whether a person is or isn't doing anything unlawful?

Just wondering how common this type of request this, and who would people use for such a reference?

PS: No, we will NOT be telling the agent to stuff their contract...

Originally posted by ContractorsSpouse View Post
    After jumping through many background check related hoops, we have one final request from the client’s agent in relation to a recent gap in contracts;

“Please provide a personal referee for this time stating that you weren't doing anything unlawful.”

Oh, come on. Really? How can anyone know whether a person is or isn't doing anything unlawful?

Just wondering how common this type of request this, and who would people use for such a reference?

PS: No, we will NOT be telling the agent to stuff their contract...
    Yes, it's getting common.

I use my accountant.

Never had a problem with this approach.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I've had this a few times cos I do have a couple of long breaks. I don't really see it as an issue, it's another annoying hoop to jump through though.

You could spend £25 and send them a CRB check that you can do yourself online via Disclosure Scotland - if you were banged up, it'd show on there. Or, you could just get 'a professional' to answer a couple of numpty questions every now and then. I do the latter as I have a friend in CID who is more than happy to be my referee. That usually does the trick.

Comment

Yup had this a couple of times. At least one of them only needed bank statements to show that I hadn't been detained or out of country. The transactions proved I was at large in society. The others were as described in the OP's post. I also used a friend in the plod as a referee.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Plan B - giving contracts a reference for time they were idle.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Plan B - giving contracts a reference for time they were idle.
            Probably counts as misrepresentation plus unless you are the plod or a judge, as you are not as worthy.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you can use your accountant would I be able to use my Umbrella company as a character reference? Any Umbrella that read this forum would you behappy to do this?

To be honest I see this whole process of wanting this as pointless. I don't announce to everyone I know when I'm out of work, most people have no idea that I am in-between contracts when I have been and if I did do something dodgy do you not think I would give someone who would lie and all for a contract which in no time at all will be over!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                If you can use your accountant would I be able to use my Umbrella company as a character reference? Any Umbrella that read this forum would you behappy to do this?
                If you work through an umbrella, then you have continuous employment.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Your right but I can't see agents taking that as an answer when I say I was employed over the 3 months I was not in contract by my umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    If you work through an umbrella, then you have continuous employment.
                    not if you decide to take 6 months off, they send you your P45 eventually. apparently HMRC have rules about not keeping someone on the payroll too long if they are not actively working or getting paid. biggest problem with that is your officially not working which could be a problem for allsorts of things such as car insurance (try telling your car insurance you are taking 6 months off and see what they do to your premiums...)

these background checks are nonsense, mix of agents fishing and nosy HR depts with little clue. I usually tell them that since I have security clearance there is little chance I have been doing anything untoward.

a few agencies now demand far too much info, capita for one, so i simply dont deal with them.

as for showing anyone my bank statements no way. far too many sensitive things on there, and potential for abuse.

Comment

Working...
                    X