• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to leave a contract midway with no notice clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to leave a contract midway with no notice clause

Hi I'm on a 6 month contract with no notice period. The agency can give me 30 days notice while I can't. Is this totally legal? Is there a way to break the contract if/when I decide to leave? Thanks, David.

Assuming this is a genuine request and not a sockie...

Yes, it's legal. If you weren't happy with the terms then why accept them without trying to negotiate first?

If you do a search then you'll find this question appears on a regular basis. Try Google e.g. Google

Comment

If you thought you might not want to complete a six month contract why did you sign it with the clause in place?

What does your contract state with regards breech of contract? You might want to read that, rather than ask people who don't have the information to hand.

(Did I do ok NLUK? I tried. )

Comment

No notice on your side is a good thing. Do some research and you'll find out why.

But should you have* to leave, perhaps the best idea is to negotiate with the client, or send in a substitute to finish the contract.

(*There are legitimate reasons for leaving early. A better offer, green grass syndrome or sheer boredom aren't it.)
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Go for a 20 mile run NOW!

Don't wash or change. Turn up on Monday and say you'd like to leave with their agreement.

Comment

Why is it that you can do a contract with a certain notice period and they can say there is no work so don't bother turning up any more but a contractor can't just say we have nobody available to come here anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by neil987 View Post
              Why is it that you can do a contract with a certain notice period and they can say there is no work so don't bother turning up any more but a contractor can't just say we have nobody available to come here anymore?
              Because they've got the money and you haven't.

Comment

But under the circumstances mentioned by the OP, he doesnt't want any more of their money.

Comment

Generally, clients can rely on the "no timesheet, no pay" argument when they want rid of you and you want to stay - they won't pay you for what they don't authorise.

Conversely, there is no similar clause in most contracts which allow the contractor to walk away when they want to - if you want that, then negotiate and have it included. The balance of power is normally such that this doesn't happen, though.

If you want to leave, then walk, and be prepared to face the consequences. Alternatively, get a sub in if your contract allows that and go somewhere else.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

But under the circumstances mentioned by the OP, he doesnt't want any more of their money.
                    No but thats why they can dictate the terms....

Comment

Working...
                    X