• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I continue without a contract ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I continue without a contract ?

Hi guys, My contract has come to an end as of last week and its now end of the project and I have handed over to the permie support team. The client has not said its time to go as they have gone Live and I think they just want me around for a couple more days just in case things go belly up.

As you know days can turn into weeks and I dont really feel like signing up again cos I need challenges and just want to be able to say I want to leave. My manager at the client agrees with me on this and seems fine about us not waving contracts at ach other. It suits us both (me best i think)

Basically what i want to find out is if people have been in a situations where they have not signed new contracts but keep getting paid as usual or is there a potential legality issue?.

I just want to keep my head down there(max 1 month) till they say bye bye OR I find a new gig

Ohh anyone looking for Snr Oracle developer in london area ?

cheers

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99
    Hi guys, My contract has come to an end as of last week and its now end of the project and I have handed over to the permie support team. The client has not said its time to go as they have gone Live and I think they just want me around for a couple more days just in case things go belly up.

As you know days can turn into weeks and I dont really feel like signing up again cos I need challenges and just want to be able to say I want to leave. My manager at the client agrees with me on this and seems fine about us not waving contracts at ach other. It suits us both (me best i think)

Basically what i want to find out is if people have been in a situations where they have not signed new contracts but keep getting paid as usual or is there a potential legality issue?.

I just want to keep my head down there(max 1 month) till they say bye bye OR I find a new gig

Ohh anyone looking for Snr Oracle developer in london area ?

cheers

css_jay99
    Get them to write you a purchase order for support and services for a one month period (or however long they want you to be available).

Do not (DO NOT) stay onsite without any form of paper work or you're leaving yourself open to not being paid with no recourse.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

You're absolutely fine about staying on without a contract... provided of course that you are willing to take the risk that you won't get paid.

The legal position is this:
      - since you originally had a contract with the client, then if you continue to provide similar services to those that were under that contract the courts will judge that you have an implied contract, regardless of whether the paperwork has been produced. So, legally you're OK.

However, you are only entitled to receive payment if the client accepts that the services were delivered to an acceptable standard (i.e. signs a timesheet).

I recommend that you write a letter to the client setting out that you are continuing to provide services in line with the original contract, and setting out the end date for the work, and MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR TIMESHEETS SIGNED. (as if you wouldn't anyway).

Commercially, the whole thing is a bit risky though, as the odds are that your client has not got internal approval to spend the money, so he/she may have problems getting your invoices paid.

So, this is down to your judgement -- if you are confident that the client has the money to pay, then it's not likely to be a huge problem. If not, then don't go into work.
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

thanks guys,,

As suggested, I will write them a letter to show some paper work and keep my timesheets signed.
        max period , I'll be there for will not be more than 3-4 weeks. I heared there is still money left over on the budget, so getting paid should
        not be a problem

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

Working...
        X