• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you Opt In or Out of IR35.....really?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you Opt In or Out of IR35.....really?!

So, just had a call from a friendly agent, to discuss a role - which actually sounds pretty interesting, by all accounts, and might dovetail in nicely with my current gig winding down.
    After the usual shenanigans around 'what sort of rate do you look for' and 'any chance you could finish current gig early'......he led me through a few 'standard questions'. These started well, like 'what is your Nationality' and 'are you eligible to work in the UK'.....but then came the 'Do you opt in or out of IR35'

Do Agents really not get the message on what IR35 is?!
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Why should they care, it is our problem. Try and imagine the number of contractors they deal with that know even less as well. I think he may not mean IR35 though which is a total f up on their part.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
      So, just had a call from a friendly agent, to discuss a role - which actually sounds pretty interesting, by all accounts, and might dovetail in nicely with my current gig winding down.
      After the usual shenanigans around 'what sort of rate do you look for' and 'any chance you could finish current gig early'......he led me through a few 'standard questions'. These started well, like 'what is your Nationality' and 'are you eligible to work in the UK'.....but then came the 'Do you opt in or out of IR35'

They want you to opt out and worked out the 1 phrase that ensures 90% of people say opt out.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yep! Many of them do not know anything about IR35 (or any other rules and regulations governing agencies) although somebody in the company will be aware of it. At the sales desk level they are not really interested as they are confident their bosses have drafted contracts which protect them personally from any repercussions.

Not much point in trying to enlighten them as little of what you say will sink in. Down to us to ensure our contracts fit the situation which is not a great hardship because most agencies seem used to contract reviews these days.

The nationality/eligibility questions are standard fare as the defence against a breach of immigration law is to be able to demonstrate that you have gone through the motions. So even if you are fair skinned and speak old fashioned BBC English and your cv indicates that all of your schooling and the last 15 years of work was in the UK, you will get asked the stupid, inappropriate sounding questions. It's called box ticking!
        Last edited by Taita; 14 August 2013, 16:44.

Comment

and 'any chance you could finish current gig early'
          I had the following conversation the other day:

Agent: just wondering what your current situation is?
          Me: I'm in contract til December
          Agent: would you considering leaving it early for a permanent role
          Me: *click*

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            I had the following conversation the other day:

Agent: just wondering what your current situation is?
            Me: I'm in contract til December
            Agent: would you considering leaving it early for a permanent role
            Me: *click*
            My standard answer on that is "Yes I will consider it if the pay is £X00,000 per annum" - just name your price!
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Agents dont give a monkeys about IR35. Why should they? They dont care how much tax the contractor pays.

IMHO - it just ends up as a hassle for them when contractor gets contract change. If it was up to them they'd get everyone in on the same contract.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                My standard answer on that is "Yes I will consider it if the pay is £X00,000 per annum" - just name your price!
                Careful with that. They might agree to it! (Happened to me once).
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  They want you to opt out and worked out the 1 phrase that ensures 90% of people say opt out.
                  Indeed - I did (sigh!) point out that one does not opt in or opt out of IR35, because it comes down entirely to one's working practices and contract on an indvidual contract basis.....which resulted in confused silence......and then I followed up with 'are you talking about Conduct Regulations'.....which resulted in 'ermmmmm...."

Still, all things considered, it seems like an interesting role, and it may well fit nicely with when current gig comes to a close. Will see how it all pans out
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                  X