• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Old Man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Old Man

Due to boredom and a collapsed pension fund my Dad has decided to retire from retirement and has started working 2 days a week on an IT project.
    Problem is, he’s been waiting and waiting and waiting for the BA to give him some information. He would ask for it but the BA is
    a) Stressed to the point he’s visibly losing hair
    b) Very unapproachable – he keeps staring daggers at my poor old Dad
    c) Generally hated by the PM and developers

What’s worse is that he keeps disappearing for long periods. My Dad is convinced he is either wanking or crying in the toilets or possibly both.

So what should my Dad do? He went back to work as he was getting bored pottering around at home but thanks to this BA he’s now sat at a desk getting bored when he could be just as bored in the comfort of his own home
    Coffee's for closers

Is this a wind up thread SC?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Due to boredom and a collapsed pension fund my Dad has decided to retire from retirement and has started working 2 days a week on an IT project.
      Problem is, he’s been waiting and waiting and waiting for the BA to give him some information. He would ask for it but the BA is

What’s worse is that he keeps disappearing for long periods. My Dad is convinced he is either wanking or crying in the toilets or possibly both.

So what should my Dad do? He went back to work as he was getting bored pottering around at home but thanks to this BA he’s now sat at a desk getting bored when he could be just as bored in the comfort of his own home
      Invoice. And keep observing with a wry air.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is he so bored he's started drumming his fingers on the desk?

Comment

Tell him not to worry, based on previous incompetency the BA probably won't be there for long

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Is this a wind up thread SC?
            Doh!
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

At least you still have a dad.
              Mine died about 20 years ago and I never did get that fiver he owed me, the tight b@stard

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think he should shout "Boo!" at the BA at random moments during the day. That should soon provoke some sort of reaction.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Doh!
                  I'm still unsure. But knowing SC, it probably is...
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I had similar issues in that the team manager failed to provide any sort of induction and clearly expected me to just ask the permies everything. Theywere all busy and stressed , I did of course ask them some stuff but found it hard to keep on bothering them However it is presumably this guy's job so my only suggestion is pretend not to notice how stressed he is, bring in a cake or something, offer him a piece andthen ask all bright and breezy for a slot to sit down and discuss what they want you dad to do. The cake bit is rather female I know but it is hard to tell somone to naff off if they have just offered you cake. Even find out what this bloke likes first so he doesnt have the excuse ready to refuse it. If he says he is busy then when would be good time to come back.

IF that doesnt work, asking him straight out if there is some kind of problem might work.

Naturally I am far better at offering advice than doing it myself

Comment

Working...
                    X