• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company credit card Q

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company credit card Q

I've just sorted out a company bank account with Cater Allen, but could also do with a credit card in the name of the company. Does anyone use the Cater Allen debit visa card (or whatever it's called)? The one that delays any VISA payments by 30 days?

I couldn't see that CA do a standard credit card, but I'll give them a ring to confirm.

I asked them about a card when I set up my account a few months ago. they said the account had to be active for 6 months before they will issue one...I assume to check account stays in credit....

Comment

Seems that Cater Allen is a favourite bank for most contractors here...
      Do you have some esoteric advantages if you go with them? I mean some fantastic high-interest rate etc. ?I am with HSBC, they have free banking (even after 12 months), Internet banking (we are in the 21st century FFS ), interest above 4% for 3 months deposit, business credit cards etc.
      The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
        Do you have some esoteric advantages i.
        Nope

I've just moved from tem to Abbey (a very slowwwwww painful experience)

The only thing I can see they offer is that the call centre is manned by UK based personnel and they know what they are doing.

HTH

MG
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Just checked with Cater Allen, same outcome as djfoot - they won't consider the application until after 6 months, unless you can provide details of another account holding with a minimum of £15K balance.

Will now have to consider if I can get a company credit card elsewhere, or just use my personal one . . .

Comment

The great thing about CA is that they give you a freephone number to ring and a real person actually answers it within 2 seconds of dialling the number.

Far cry from endless menus and human robots who can only speak fluent script.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
              Seems that Cater Allen is a favourite bank for most contractors here...
              Do you have some esoteric advantages if you go with them? I mean some fantastic high-interest rate etc. ?I am with HSBC, they have free banking (even after 12 months), Internet banking (we are in the 21st century FFS ), interest above 4% for 3 months deposit, business credit cards etc.
              Agree with you. I'm also with HSBC. Opening the account was simple (might have helped I have held a personal account with them for 20+ years). Credit card straight away. The oft quoted "advanatge" of Cater Allen is that they have a UK Call Centre which is free. But since I use internet banking (which Cater Allen dont seem to have) thats also free. I've never had to call them.

In fact, HSBC called me when I had some spare money floating in my business account suggesting I may want top move it to a different account with better interest. And last week I got a phone call from them inviting me to a workshop to review their services for small businesses - for which they would pay me £50.

Comment

I have a company card offered by MBNA. No annual fee. Only complaint I have is that they didn't offer the option of automatically paying the balance in full by direct debit without me having to phone them up and arrange it. (I'm sure you can normally opt for this on the form when you apply for a card.)

Comment

The biggest benefit of Cater Allen (apart from the best call centre in the UK), is that for their investment account (which is ideal for IT contractors who only make a small number of transactions) pays you interest at 3.546 gross % (AER), which means you may get over £1000 free over a year for using them.

Which of the other banks charges zero and pays you a grand for banking with them? And after 6 months you get a free Visa deferred payment card.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    The biggest benefit of Cater Allen (apart from the best call centre in the UK), is that for their investment account (which is ideal for IT contractors who only make a small number of transactions) pays you interest at 3.546 gross % (AER), which means you may get over £1000 free over a year for using them.

Which of the other banks charges zero and pays you a grand for banking with them? And after 6 months you get a free Visa deferred payment card.
                    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/business/a...usiness-direct

you have free banking for annual turnover up to 500.000 £ (should be enough even for DomPrawn and his fat rates FFS )

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/business/s...t-deposit-bond

"If you want a guaranteed rate of interest up to 4.40% AER/Gross* with fixed terms up to 3 years (*annual interest)." - you need minimum 5.000 for a 3 months deposit

Sorted.
                    Next...
                    The rest is silence...

Comment

Working...
                    X