• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not allowed to apply for the same jobs as perms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not allowed to apply for the same jobs as perms

Hi,
    I am currently employed as a contractor in a large company's IT department. I have recently applied for a higher grade job but was then told (informally) that contractors can only apply for the lowest grade jobs and ony perms will be considered for anything above that.

This restriction was NOT mentioned on the job application, the internal job portal or anywhere that I could find (the only relevant document I found on the intranet said a basic grade colleague could apply for any job as long as they were qualified).

So basically my question is - does the company have the right to do this?

Thank you for any answer in advance...

Originally posted by Ironicus View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently employed as a contractor in a large company's IT department. I have recently applied for a higher grade job but was then told (informally) that contractors can only apply for the lowest grade jobs and ony perms will be considered for anything above that.

This restriction was NOT mentioned on the job application, the internal job portal or anywhere that I could find (the only relevant document I found on the intranet said a basic grade colleague could apply for any job as long as they were qualified).

Sorry to tell you this but you aren't a real contractor.

Look again at your contract - does it talk about Fixed Term Contract (or did the Agent mention it?). If you had a job application then I suspect this is what you are on.

If it does then you have the worst of both worlds - contractors DO NOT have career progression within a company but an FTC does not have the monetary compensation of a proper contractor or the legal protection of a permie.

So yes, the company does have the right to do this.

Sorry - you're stuffed.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

WCS ^^

FTC is the worst of both worlds, IMHO.....
      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
        WCS ^^

FTC is the worst of both worlds, IMHO.....
        I had a FTC with Microsoft - i turned it down!
        It is just a waste of time..

Comment

Hi,
          No you are not.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

told (informally) that contractors can only apply for the lowest grade jobs and ony perms will be considered for anything above that.

The company isn't doing anything. One person has told you something informally and most likely deny ever saying it if challenged by the company.

My advice is always to go right ahead and do what you want to do. Make a formal application and ignore what people with no authority to speak for the HR department tell you.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              No you are not.
              He might be though
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                The company isn't doing anything. One person has told you something informally and most likely deny ever saying it if challenged by the company.

My advice is always to go right ahead and do what you want to do. Make a formal application and ignore what people with no authority to speak for the HR department tell you.
                No harm in applying I suppose.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Here's how it works in most of the companies I've been at;

If you are on a fixed term contract (paid via the company's payroll) then after 12 weeks you usually have the same rights as one of their employees - so go ahead and apply.

If you are a contractor (you invoice either the company or an agency) then you are 'external' from a HR perspective so can't normally apply for roles advertised internally.

Comment

Hypothetically...

If one's contract was fine with no obvious IR35 bother but then when they start they receive a 'contractor care pack' via email from HR when would the worry start? If said pack stated something like 'you are entitled to view and apply for permanent positions advertised internally during your time with <client>', would panic set in?

Have HR just got a process/policy issue?
                    Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Working...
                    X