• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Product Owner as a contracting career?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Owner as a contracting career?

*Newbie Alert*

Any other Product Owner/Product Managers here that are/want to go contracting? It seems as though the role (and AGILE in particular) is growing in usage but wanted thoughts for those with this skill set and the contracting market..

What are you after? Some advice? Coffee shop chat? Feel for the market?

Have you camped on Jobserve and had a look at the number or roles that fit the skillset to gauge rates etc? What is out there in the market is just as important as musing from your peers I think so could help.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerty View Post
      *Newbie Alert*

Any other Product Owner/Product Managers here that are/want to go contracting? It seems as though the role (and AGILE in particular) is growing in usage but wanted thoughts for those with this skill set and the contracting market..
      I have seen contract roles for product owners. Typically, it's something a business analyst might step into. There are less contracts in this area than say scrum master. Scrum master roles can demand some technical background as well and be combined with technical lead. One point to consider is that you might need to be very mobile and flexible to be able to bid for product owner roles. Otherwise, a perm job. Many organisations would probably want to keep the business knowledge in house if they can.

Official certifications will help you as will previous experience as a product owner or in agile teams.

Seems to be quite some competition for these sorts of roles too.

I am not in this area myself, but I know someone who does freelance as an agile coach. He did have to build up his experience in that area before he got longer projects.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
        I have seen contract roles for product owners. Typically, it's something a business analyst might step into. There are less contracts in this area than say scrum master. Scrum master roles can demand some technical background as well and be combined with technical lead. One point to consider is that you might need to be very mobile and flexible to be able to bid for product owner roles. Otherwise, a perm job. Many organisations would probably want to keep the business knowledge in house if they can.

Official certifications will help you as will previous experience as a product owner or in agile teams.

Seems to be quite some competition for these sorts of roles too.

good luck
        Absolutely right - Product Owners own the product because they (should) know all about it and that knowledge should be in-house.

In SCRUM environments BA's sit outside of the Project - SCRUM Masters are sort after inside SCRUM projects.

(As a DSDM BA I sit inside but I'm not a Proxy-PO.)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerty View Post
          *Newbie Alert*

I work as a Change/Transformation PM. Many of my client's have (alleged to !) work to/ in Agile Environments in terms of development.

Having spent a number of years building up creditbility / acceptance with the dev teams at longstanding clients, I recently (while on the bench) took my Agile Product Owners certification exam.
          It was more to prove that it was possible to understand / integrate the concept of Processes with Agile methodology than to try and shift my expertise.

It has not produced any additional or distinct new opportunities in it's own right, but does back up the statement on my profile summary of being " experienced in working in Agile environments".

As other posters have commented, Scrum Master roles are more distinct and do offer more contracting opportunities.
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Absolutely right - Product Owners own the product because they (should) know all about it and that knowledge should be in-house.

In SCRUM environments BA's sit outside of the Project - SCRUM Masters are sort after inside SCRUM projects.

I'm getting confused about what you mean by inside/outside "Project", do you mean the BA is in the Project but outside the SCRUM development team?

Sorry if I'm being pedantic.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

BA can

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I've had a contract recently where I ended up as a proxy PO in addition to my usual BA/PM role. It worked out very well - the product was new so their wasn't a great deal of knowledge in the organisation about it, just requirements. The PO was a senior exec in the US - short of time and often inaccessible. It was a SCRUM environment however a lot of places use variations on that and to be honest, do what works.

BA's are pretty well suited to the PO role - if they help to write the user stories, they have a great understanding of the requirements. They're used to talking to the business and the technical resources and that's very handy when managing the backlog.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                I've had a contract recently where I ended up as a proxy PO in addition to my usual BA/PM role. It worked out very well - the product was new so their wasn't a great deal of knowledge in the organisation about it, just requirements. The PO was a senior exec in the US - short of time and often inaccessible. It was a SCRUM environment however a lot of places use variations on that and to be honest, do what works.

BA's are pretty well suited to the PO role - if they help to write the user stories, they have a great understanding of the requirements. They're used to talking to the business and the technical resources and that's very handy when managing the backlog.
                Yes, I see your point - I'm just loathe to take the place of a permie as a PO. For the client's business benefit that knowledge should be kept in-house as much as possible in my view.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

In case you want to look at doing any certifications, this is what my colleague, who is an agile coach, advised a friend of mine who was also looking at becoming a product owner, although he wanted a perm job. He wrote:

"There are two widely accepted certification organisations:
                  Agile Alliance
                  Scrum.org

With the Agile Alliance, you have to do an expensive course before you are allowed to do the exam.

Scrum.org asks a reasonable price, has more difficult certification questions (but you can pass the exam if you know enough!) and you can do the exam if you think you're ready for it (they don't force you to follow an expensive course).

I prefer Scrum.org"

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
                    In case you want to look at doing any certifications, this is what my colleague, who is an agile coach, advised a friend of mine who was also looking at becoming a product owner, although he wanted a perm job. He wrote:

"There are two widely accepted certification organisations:
                    Agile Alliance
                    Scrum.org

With the Agile Alliance, you have to do an expensive course before you are allowed to do the exam.

Scrum.org asks a reasonable price, has more difficult certification questions (but you can pass the exam if you know enough!) and you can do the exam if you think you're ready for it (they don't force you to follow an expensive course).

I prefer Scrum.org"
                    There is also the the DSDM Consortium.

Comment

Working...
                    X